[News] What Makes Linux a Leader in Hardware Support

The magic of Linux device drivers.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux kernel has a fantastic way of dealing with your computer's
| hardware. It doesn't concern itself with the company that sells the hardware
| or brand names, it is only concerned about the hardware itself. More
| specifically the actual chipset of the hardware. This means that one single
| Linux driver automatically supports a particular chipset no matter what
| company packages and sells products made with that chipset.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/the-magic-of-linux-device-drivers-29899

Recent:

Yet another reason to use Linux instead of (Windows) Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently I baught BSNL EV-DO card that provides broadband (144 Kbps – 2
| Mbps – averaging about 500 Kbps) on the go. I tried to run it on my 64 bit
| Windows Vista Laptop (a triple boot machine XP, Vista 64 bit & Ubuntu 64 bit)
| but failed. Driver simply failed to work. However, it works well in Windows
| XP environment.
|
| Then I tried it on Linux. On my Ubuntu 64 bit Linux machine, running this
| device is pretty much straight forward. Here is how you can install and run
| BSNL evdo card in your Linux machine too:  (though you can do this with
| dozens of different methods with equal number of tools – classic Linux
| style!)
`----

http://raviratlami1.blogspot.com/2008/12/yet-another-reason-to-use-linux-instead.html

Why Linux Is Popular with Hardware Companies and Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Two trends in the computer industry set the stage for the growing popularity
| of UNIX and Linux. First, advances in hardware technology created the need
| for an operating system that could take advantage of available hardware
| power. In the mid-1970s, minicomputers began challenging the large mainframe
| computers because, in many applications, minicomputers could perform the same
| functions less expensively. More recently, powerful 64-bit processor chips,
| plentiful and inexpensive memory, and lower-priced hard disk storage have
| allowed hardware companies to install multiuser operating systems on desktop
| computers.
`----

http://computingtech.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-linux-is-popular-with-hardware.html

You've CUPSed a long way, baby.

,----[ Quote ]
| He went on his way and I plugged in the usb cable. Getting ready to go into
| the menu to configure the thing a notification thinger pops up and told me
| the printer was ready. It didn't even ask me a question. NOT A THING.
`----

http://stompbox.typepad.com/blog/2008/08/youve-cupsed-a.html

Related:

A Perception of Lack of Support for Open Source Should Not Stop Adoption of
Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| People seem hesitant to accept open source because “there is no company
| behind it” like Microsoft. First of all, from an OS standpoint, support of
| Linux distros by the companies that publish them has come a long way in the
| past few years. Companies like Canonical (the distributor of Ubuntu Linux),
| Novell (SuSE Linux), and Red Hat offer support programs that can assist you
| with your problem, although these programs vary in pricing and how they are
| conducted. The point is, however, that despite the fact that the OS is
| developed, maintained, and improved by an amorphous body of programmers (the
| open source community), there are real companies behind the distros that will
| be there if you have a question or problem.
`----

http://lawtech.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/support-linux-open-source/

The top Linux support weaknesses, then and now

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2003, SearchEnterpriseLinux.com visited the Linux support landscape
| with a list of Linux support weaknesses. A lot has happened over the
| past four years, as is evident in the success of Red Hat and
| Novell's subscription-based support models and the meteoric
| rise of commercial-grade Ubuntu support, to name a few.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1262974,00.html

Linux Graphics, a Tale of Three Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, if the Linux desktop suddenly took off tomorrow Intel would be
| perfectly poised to capitalise on its successful open source strategy, slap
| a "Designed for Linux" sticker on all its desktops and laptops and wait for
| the profits to come rolling in.
|
| However, the current trend is for the future to go smart and mobile, with
| Linux becoming a strongly competitive choice in the mobile market primarily
| because of it's commodity support and speed of innovation. The most commonly
| touted feature of the new generation of mobile devices is graphics and
| multi-media, so anyone with a graphics device strategy that supports Linux
| seamlessly and can innovate down to the low power hand held devices is nicely
| positioned to capitalise on an emerging market.
`----

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Linux_Graphics_Essay

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69