[News] [Rival] Desperate Microsoft Starts Milking Its Distributors

Education push from Microsoft drives rogue traders to turn over a new leaf

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft today announced settlements with 15 traders caught selling illegal
| software in regions throughout the UK. One reseller agreed a £75,000
| settlement after customer complaints revealed he was illegally reselling
| Microsoft Windows recovery discs, many of which didn’t work. A further 14
| traders faced court action in respect of  hard disk loading1 and selling
| improperly licensed software to unsuspecting customers over the last six
| months.
`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/23350

"China has long been seen as a fertile ground for Linux and other open source
software. In a country where more than 90% of software in use is pirated, it
seems like a natural fit."

                        http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/50004.html

Recent:

Anti-piracy day? No thanks

,----[ Quote ]
| Today is Microsoft’s self-declared Global Anti-Piracy Day. No surprise then
| that the local arm of the Business Software Alliance has been ringing up
| journalists over the past couple of days with the ominous news that South
| Africa is losing between R2.8 billion to software pirates every year.
|
| As usual, the BSA statements are sweeping and presumptive.
|
| For a start, South Africa doesn’t really lose all this money. Most of the
| licensing money heads straight overseas to companies like Microsoft and Adobe
| with this country holding on to very little of it.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3405

Related:

Chinese demand free software from Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Wang might have acted for the benefit of China's software
| buyers," acting executive of Red Flag Software Co., Ltd, Zhao Xiaoliang
| said in a comment posted on a popular website.
|
| "Everybody knows Microsoft's Windows operating system has been
| monopolising the market. The price of the system is very high,
| pushing users who cannot afford it to buy pirated software. Maybe it
| is time that Microsoft start to think about the problems," Zhao said.
|
| [...]
|
| The Chinese government has been encouraging the use of open-source
| software to generate the growth of the domestic IT industry and to
| minimise dependence on expensive software, and companies which
| supply them, such as Microsoft.
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Chinese_demand_free_software_from_Bill_Gates/articleshow/1943011.cms
http://tinyurl.com/yqdcvp

Washington goes to WTO over China counterfeiters

,----[ Quote ]
| Xinhua wheeled out a Chinese academic, He Jiasheng of Wuhan University,
| to accuse the US of playing piracy pots and kettles. "The United
| States itself is not immune to piracy," the professor said. "A special
| US survey on piracy indicates its software industry alone loses
| US$3.2bn of profits a year to IPR violators."
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/04/10/china_us_piracy/

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
| technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
| will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
| Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
| it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
| they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
| Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
| plans for world domination.
|
| It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
| of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

Dell releases low-cost Linux desktops...in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell, for example, has sold tens of thousands of Linux-based PCs
| to elementary schools in China, running Sun Wah Linux -- a
| Chinese distribution of Linux based on Debian.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2007/0326linux2.html

Microsoft Exec Admits That Company Benefits From Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Raikes, head of the company's business group, said at a
| recent investor conference that while the company is against
| piracy, if you are going to pirate software, it hopes you pirate
| Microsoft software. He cited the above reasoning, noting that
| users of pirated Microsoft software are likely to purchase from
| the company later on.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070312/165448.shtml

"Piracy reduction can be a source of Windows revenue growth"

,----[ Quote ]
| It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to save up for two months to
| buy Vista, Steve. Really. You'd be willing to spend $150,000 of your
| money on Vista Basic, wouldn't you? I'm sure all you need to do is
| tighten those screws, and the giant Chinese turnip will start
| squirting sweet, sweet blood to sustain you.
`----

http://wilshipley.com/blog/2007/02/piracy-reduction-can-be-source-of.html

Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;7680622;fp;16;fpid;1