Re: [News] Video Editors for GNU/Linux: Plenty of Libre Ones

____/ Attila on Sunday 08 February 2009 10:09 : \____

> Attila wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> The article goes on, "CinePaint is an easy to use Ubuntu Video
>> application..."
>>
>> NO, Cinepaint may be east to use but it is not an "Ubuntu Video
>> application ...". Here's how Cinepaint's own website describes itself:
>> "Free open source deep paint application available for Linux, Mac and BSD"
>>
>> I could go on but I think you get the point. Many people reading that
>> article would get the impression that the must install Ubuntu to use all
>> these fine application. As you know quite well, this is false. Shilling
>> for Ubuntu is no more attractive than shilling for M$. This is not the
>> kind of article that does service to the Linux community.
>>
>> Sorry about my rant but I see too many articles like this. I think we have
>> a duty to correct false impressions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Attila
>>
> As the follow up, it's ironic to look at Cinepaint's download page:
>     * Redhat
>       # yum install CinePaint
>     * Ubuntu - Currently unavailable due to Debian issues. Working on it.
>       # aptitude install CinePaint
>
> A bit strange for an "Ubuntu Video application", no?
> Cheers,
> Attila

Yes, I noticed that "Ubuntnuness" and saw a similar comment slamming the
article for it. I think it was ignorance and not malice that's intended by the
author.

Becoming 'anti-Ubuntu' is not going to help much. The corrections are very
important though (leading the writers not to repeat the error).

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
         run-level 5  Feb  7 04:42                   last=S