[News] Apple Claims Credit, Monopolies for Ideas It 'Steals'

Can Apple’s Multi-Touch Patent Withstand Scrutiny — or Challenge?

,----[ Quote ]
| When the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issued patent number 7,479,949 for
| a “touch screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining
| commands by applying heuristics,” eyebrows shot up throughout the industry.
| On first glance, it seemed that Apple had locked down the concept of a
| multi-touch interface, posing problems for Palm and anyone else who might
| want to compete with the iPhone, iTouch, and future products. But some more
| careful consideration suggests that the patent may not be as broad as it
| seems — and Apple may have missed including some seminal prior art, at least
| some of which was known to the inventors. That could cause spell problems in
| trying to enforce the patent.
`----

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/1000741/can-apples-multi-touch-patent-withstand-scrutiny-or-challenge/

Recent:

Apple's View On Patents Then And Now

,----[ Quote ]
| For all the talk among patent system defenders about how patents are most
| necessary for young startup companies that need to grow, most tech startups
| couldn't care much less about patents (other than as a bogus currency to
| increase their valuation in talking to VCs). Startups are focused on actually
| building a product and getting it out to the market. Instead, what we see
| time and time again is that it's the big, more established companies that use
| patents to stifle startups, rather than the other way around. Startups
| innovate, while big companies litigate.
|
| [...]
|
| The company was incredibly open in sharing ideas and concepts, and wasn't
| going around threatening others for ripping off its IP (that did come
| later... especially with the graphical user interface, which Jobs himself
| admitted "ripping off" from Xerox... which had "ripped it off" already from
| SRI). It's really only when you're afraid of competing in the marketplace
| that you rely on patents. When you're young and innovative you focus on the
| possibilities and opportunities in front of you, rather than on ways to block
| others from innovating.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090129/0331363567.shtml

Analyst Says What We Already Knew: Apple's Multi-Touch Patent Fight Won't Help
Its Business

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090202/1203253611.shtml