[News] GNU/Linux a Worldwide Phenomenon (Not US-Onlyish Like Apple)

Linux Around the World

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the coolest things about the Internet for me personally is that it
| lets you travel the world, yet can always bring you home in an instant. This
| may sound corny, but it never fails to amaze me, especially when I am far
| from home, as I am now.
|
| [...]
|

| Projects like this are a great step towards solving the localization problem
| for computer users who might not always have systems in their native
| language. These LoCo teams, of which there are over 180, are local groups
| dedicated to providing support to their communities. All volunteer, all for
| the mission of furthering Ubuntu and Linux deployments.
| Where ever we are in the world, how can we reach out to help get Linux to
| thosearound us?
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/linux-around-world

Recent:

The Russian schools Linux pilot goes nationwide

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/06/30/the-russian-schools-linux-pilot-goes-nationwide/

Open source tour of Europe: Russia

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/11/open-source-tour-of-europe-russia/

Moscow regional government to migrate to Open Source desktop

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7635/469

Russians Say Nyet To Windows, But Da To Linux

http://www.bloggernews.net/115636

Open Source Government: Several notes on the Russian Free Software
Development Concept

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/04/24/open-source-government-several-notes-on-the-russian-free-software-development-concept/

Linux Ubuntu PCs set for sale in Russia

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2008/04/23/298333

Linux being launched at schools

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/10/25/272200

Russian Postal Service Wears Red Hat

http://www.hellmail.co.uk/postalnews/templates/postal_global_news.asp?articleid=402&zoneid=11

IBM to offer Linux machines

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29500/IBM-to-offer-Linux-machines

OpenReferent - a New Open Source Challenge to Microsoft Desktop
Software

Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/03/12/open-source-market-foss-getting-hot-in-russia/

Related:

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978

Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian
Softool event

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/19/mandriva_linux_selected_as_product_of_the_year_2007_at_the_russian_softool_event

Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr/russian_public_agencies_choose_mandriva

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/russian-government-will-migrate-to.html

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open
standards

http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/templates/article-docsoft.aspx?articleid=4410&zoneid=57

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177