[News] Copyrights Seems to be Growing Obsolete

Textbooks? Textbooks? We don’t need no stinkin’ textbooks!

,----[ Quote ]
| As we get our ducks in a row for our new computer science class offerings
| next year, the high school principal asked me to give him some
| recommendations on textbooks. I’ve always hated buying technology textbooks
| since they tend to be outdated by the time you receive them and because we
| have this great thing called the Internet filled with technology information.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2127

Open Source and Copyleft in a Copyright, Closed Source World.

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no escaping the reality that community is what really ensures the
| success of a good project (I'm looking at you, Ubuntu), no matter how
| technically sound or enjoyable that project is or is not in and of itself.
`----

http://nousessence.com/node/1263

The copyrights cartel is still fighting for intellectual monopoly and publicly
smears people like Larry Lessig.

Recent:

UK Government To Force ISPs To Become Copyright Cops

,----[ Quote ]
| Like other industry trade groups around the world, the British Phonographic
| Industry, that country's RIAA equivalent, has been pushing for British ISPs
| to become its copyright cops, something a number of ISPs have refused to do.
| After some threatening noises from British politicians, some ISPs relented,
| and now, the government is set go all the way by forcing the ISPs to play
| ball.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090116/0957263441.shtml

Labor plan to censor internet in shreds

,----[ Quote ]
| The Government's plan to censor the internet is in tatters, with Australia's
| largest ISP saying it will not take part in live trials of the system and the
| second largest committing only to a scaled-back trial.
|
| And the Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, has written to critics
| saying that the so-called "live" trials would be "a closed network test and
| will not involve actual customers". Greens Senator Scott Ludlam said this was
| a sign the Government was slowly backing away from the heavily criticised
| policy.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/news/home/technology/labor-plan-to-censor-internet-in-shreds/2008/12/09/1228584820006.html

A glimmer of hope from whitehouse.gov

,----[ Quote ]
| Politicians in general are not terribly tech-savvy, let alone conscious of
| the most important intellectual freedom issues, but President Barack Obama
| does have a reputation of being more aware than most of the new media and new
| possibilities of the internet. The new US presidential website shows some
| promise that indeed, we now have a US president who isn’t afraid of the
| future.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/glimmer_hope_whitehouse_gov

Copyright extension is out of tune with reality

,----[ Quote ]
| Politicians often do and say silly things when they come into contact with
| celebrities.
|
| So it was last Thursday when a star-struck Andy Burnham, Britain’s secretary
| of state for Culture, Media and Sport, showed up for a speech and
| photo-opportunity with the former lead singer of the Undertones, a punk-pop
| combo of the 1970s. In addition to the usual pleasantries about Britain’s
| creative industries, Mr Burnham set out a novel argument about the law of
| copyright protecting musicians’ work.
|
| There was, he said, “a moral case” for performers – who often do their best
| recorded work in their 20s and 30s – to benefit from it throughout their
| lifetime. The government would therefore consider extending copyright for
| recordings to 70 years from the present 50.
|
| As political speeches go, this is pretty silly. A moral case? You might just
| as well say sportspeople have a moral case to a pension at 30.
|
| Copyright is an economic instrument, not a moral one, and if you consider the
| economic arguments – as I did two years ago at the request of Gordon Brown –
| you will find that they do not stack up. All the respectable research shows
| that copyright extension has high costs to the public and negligible benefits
| for the creative community.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ba280756-ca07-11dd-93e5-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

Good for Gowers

,----[ Quote ]
| And whose words are these? Why, none other than Andrew Gowers, who once again
| shows his deep grasp of copyright. Pity that the government is likely to
| ignore all appeals to logic, and to join the EU in a retrograde extension of
| the term of copyright protection for sound recordings that will give
| practically nothing to hard-working musicians, lots to the parasitic music
| business fat cats - and take away from everyone else through the enclosure of
| the public domain for another 20 years.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1646&blogid=14

Spot the Disconnect

,----[ Quote ]
| So how do we reconcile those? Well, could it be, dear Times whingers, that
| the Internet actually *drives* traffic to your precious films and TV
| programmes, whatever they are? Could it be that the Internet is actually
| going to keep you all employed and so fraffly well-paid?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/12/spot-disconnect.html

Creative Commons Asks How You Define "Non-Commercial"

,----[ Quote ]
| Joi Ito and the Creative Commons need help getting the word out -- and
| defined. Creative Commons licenses allow (to varying degrees) the content
| they apply to to be freely used, distributed, and altered, with varying
| levels of attribution or certain restrictions on commercial use. One of the
| gray areas Creative Commons has been grappling with is how exactly one
| defines "non-commercial."
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/creative-commons-asks-how-you-define-non-commercial

Award-winning Open Source Doc Looks at Digital Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Digital technology opens up an unprecedented global economy of ideas. RiP
| explores the robber barons and revolutionaries squaring off across this new
| frontier as the film journeys from the control rooms of Washington to the
| favelas of Brazil.
|
| Along the way, Gaylor interviews key figures about the complexities of
| intellectual property in the digital era, among them Creative Commons founder
| Lawrence Lessig, culture critic Cory Doctorow, Brazilian musician and former
| Minister of Cultural Affairs Gilberto Gil, and Jammie Thomas, the single mom
| successfully sued by the Recording Industry Association of America for
| illegal downloading.
`----

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=93048&issue=12032008

Introduction to Copyleft Movement