[News] Eircom and the MAFIAA: Reason to Avoid Eircom

Irish ISP Eircom in 'three strike' filesharer crackdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Eircom had argued it was under no obligation to monitor the content of
| traffic over its network.
|
| The music labels originally wanted the court to order Eircom to install
| software from a US firm to detect copyrighted music files sent over its
| network. The ISP objected, saying the software could breach its customer's
| privacy.
|
| Instead, Eircom settled for the increasingly-familiar
| three-strikes "graduated response" program. The first time a subscriber's IP
| is detected infringing copyright, a warning is sent out. The second time, the
| subscriber is cautioned that they will be disconnected. Number three is the
| big disconnect.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/eircom_agrees_to_three_strikes_enforcement/

There are *already* reports of false positives. Eircom just joined a group of
criminals (with proof) who engage in racketeering.

Recent:

ISP Capitulates to IFPI, Agrees to Disconnect Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Up until today, the ‘Big Four’ record labels were taking legal action against
| Ireland’s biggest ISP, Eircom, in order to force it to employ filtering
| technology to stop online pirates. The case has been aborted as Eircom, at
| the behest of the music industry, has agreed to start disconnecting those
| accused of illicit file-sharing.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/isp-capitulates-to-ifpi-agrees-to-disconnect-pirates-090128/

ISPs Ready to Assist the RIAA?

,----[ Quote ]
| There's also the question of what kind of impact these actions will have on
| AT&T and Comcast. If they are the only ISPs sticking their necks out, then
| they may see their customer base flock to other providers who won't work with
| the RIAA.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/158569/ISPs_RIAA.html?tk=rss_news

RIAA Sued For Racketeering Yet Again

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have filed lawsuits against the RIAA for racketeering in the
| past, though these charges have always been dismissed. In one such case,
| where the filed charges were dismissed over the summer, new claims were filed
| again charging the RIAA with racketeering for extortion, mail fraud and wire
| fraud in its ongoing efforts involving weakly supported threats against
| alleged file sharers demanding money to avoid being sued.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081121/1203512916.shtml

750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per year? A
| cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the figure seldom
| say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this, and indeed, you can
| find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving that figure as a U.S.
| Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But when we contacted CBP to
| determine how they had arrived at that imposing figure, we were informed that
| it was, in essence, a goof. The figure, Customs assured us, came from
| somewhere else, and was mistakenly described as the agency's own. This should
| come as no great surprise: CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating
| the total loss of jobs from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly
| complex counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
| appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
| spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business of
| developing such estimates in-house.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/dodgy-digits-behind-the-war-on-piracy.ars

Harvard professor challenges RIAA anti-piracy campaign

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=537633690&rid=-50