[News] GNU/Linux Perfect Match for Supermachines: So Secure It Manages Nuclear Weapons

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Perfect Match for Supermachines: So Secure It Manages Nuclear Weapons
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 03:00:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

US Orders Massive Supercomputer to Manage Nuclear Stockpile

,----[ Quote ]
| Sequoia will occupy 96 server racks over an area a bit larger than a tennis
| court. IBM won't discuss the machine in detail because it is still being
| developed, but Dave Turek, vice president of IBM's Deep Computing initiative,
| said it will be similar in design to its predecessor, Blue Gene/P, but on a
| much larger scale. The system will run a version of the Linux OS, use IBM's
| embedded Power processors and have 1.6 petabytes of main memory.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/158790/us_orders_massive_supercomputer_to_manage_nuclear_stockpile.html?tk=rss_news

IBM's 20 petaflops supercomputer to keep tabs on US nukes

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM HAS TEAMED up with the US government to try and build the most powerful,
| most super supercomputer ever.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/772/1050772/ibm-petaflops-supercomputer-tabs-us-nukes

Need a supercomputer? This guy builds them himself

,----[ Quote ]
| For instance, his first supercomputer was built from a Linux cluster of
| bargain 48 DEC Alpha Servers that had been discontinued, each with a single
| 300-MHz, 64-bit AXP processor. "So I got a very good deal on them. I think
| the list price was $6,000, and I bought them after they were end-of-lifed for
| $800," Allen says. "The switch was a 3Com Superstack 100Mbit/sec. Ethernet
| switch. I think it was a pair of them, each with 24 ports connected by a
| matrix cable."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9127150&source=rss_topic122

Atomic Linux.

Market share pie:
http://boycottnovell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/linuxposter.jpg

Recent:

Why is Linux THE FASTEST operating system today?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that I mentioned supercomputers at the time of this writing the worlds
| fastest supercomputer runs Linux. In fact most of them run Linux as you will
| see here in the list of the top 500 supercomputers. Out of all of the
| operating systems on these supercomputers Linux is a whopping 87.8% with
| windows only (giggle) 1% as can be seen here. The current worlds fastest
| supercomputer runs..... Redhat Linux and Fedora. The exact same ones you can
| download and install on your personal computer.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/why-is-linux-the-fastest-operating-system-today-28534

Linux shows staying power on Top500

,----[ Quote ]