[News] Why Intellectual Monopolies Are Very Stupid (Not Intellectual at All)

Are My Ideas Being Stolen? If So, What Then?

,----[ Quote ]
| "...Folks, it's not the ideas; it's design, implementation, and especially
| hard  work that make the difference."
`----

http://www.seenonslash.com/node/3302

Welcome to NewEconomyPatents.org!

,----[ Quote ]
| After hearing oral arguments on May 8, 2008, in the patent case In re Bilski,
| the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (the Federal Circuit)
| reached a 9-3 decision on Oct. 30, 2008 to uphold the ruling by the U.S.
| Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The appeal followed the rejection by the
| USPTO of a patent application for a process for hedge fund risk management,
| filed by inventors Bernard Bilski and Rand Warsaw.
`----

http://neweconomypatents.org/

Recent:

Fears rise for national offices as Danish PTO lays off 35

,----[ Quote ]
| The Danish Patent and Trademark Office has laid off 35 members of staff after
| seeing a slump in applications, a move indicating that national offices could
| be hit by the global recession.
|
| “In the fourth quarter of 2008 we saw a reduction in the number of
| applications,” Jesper Kongstad, director general of the office, told WTR
| yesterday. “On the basis of that we took the decision to lay off 35 staff
| from the Danish office.” The country has seen huge economic growth over
| recent years, especially in the real estate market. But this has now largely
| collapsed in a similar way to that of the United Kingdom. Nevertheless,
| practitioners in Denmark reacted to the news from the PTO with
| surprise. “This is a very drastic approach,” said Jeppe Brogaard Clausen, a
| partner of MAQS Law Firm. “It’s a very high number and laying people off in
| the legal market happens so rarely in Denmark.
`----

http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=04698e5a-f06a-42a2-90fe-77d53f73d5b8

Inside Views: The Last Defence Of The IP System: An Interview With Jamie Boyle

,----[ Quote ]
| James Boyle is a leading thinker on copyright and knowledge access, and is
| author of a new book called The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the
| Mind (available at thepublicdomain.org or here as a PDF). He is a law
| professor and cofounder of the Center for the Study of the Public Domain at
| Duke Law School. Boyle spoke recently with William New of Intellectual
| Property Watch on his book and recommendations for the new leadership of the
| World Intellectual Property Organization, European Union and the United
| States.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1407

Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent monopolies are believed to drive innovation but they actually impede
| the pace of science and innovation, Stiglitz said. The current “patent
| thicket,” in which anyone who writes a successful software programme is sued
| for alleged patent infringement, highlights the current IP system’s failure
| to encourage innovation, he said.
|
| Another problem is that the social returns from innovation do not accord with
| the private returns associated with the patent system, Stiglitz said. The
| marginal benefit from innovation is that an idea may become available sooner
| than it might have. But the person who secures the patent on it wins a
| long-term monopoly, creating a gap between private and social returns.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129

Economist Critic of Software Patents gets Nobel Prize

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/Economist_Critic_of_Software_Patents_gets_Nobel_Prize