[News] Sub-notebooks and Old PCs Empower GNU/Linux

Keeping those old PCs (or netbooks) moving along

,----[ Quote ]
| Plenty of us have old PCs stuck in the corners of classrooms, machines we
| just can’t afford to replace and whose owners just can’t do without. At the
| same time, more and more of us are rolling out netbooks and inexpensive
| hardware instead of investing in the latest and greatest “Vista-capable”
| computers. My usual answer to this would be “Linux! Yay!”
|
| But do we really need to install Xubuntu on a 7-year old computer when it’s
| running just fine on Windows 98 or Windows 2000? Obviously, there are
| security risks to running these dated operating systems, but oftentimes, it’s
| more important for us just to keep people functional. Perhaps the machines
| are only used for word processing or accessing specific applications with
| minimal Internet access (if a computer only hits your student information
| system and sits behind an adequate firewall, chances of a breach are pretty
| low).
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2112

Microsoft's self-inflicted obesity takes its toll.

Recent:

New toy or new best friend?

,----[ Quote ]
| It also isn’t a speed demon, but so far with web
| browsing and using OpenOffice, I haven’t found myself
| waiting for anything. One thing to note is that I
| requested a Linux version of the netbook. It runs
| “Linpus Lite Linux”, a customized version of
| Fedora with a very useful dashboard for everyday applications.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2010

2008 year in review: Netooks

,----[ Quote ]
| The launch of the netbook was also aided by the
| progression of Linux, allowing vendors to cut
| out the cost of the operating system as well
| as customise it to offer a very basic and simple to navigate
| interface.
|
| [...]
|
| It also seems that, although Linux was
| originally the operating system of choice for
| netbooks, the majority of customers are opting
| for Windows XP versions of the devices.
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/News/91803,2008-year-in-review-netbooks.aspx

Larry Magid: Looking back on eventful year for tech

,----[ Quote ]
| Using Linux lowers the cost because the
| manufacturer doesn't have to pay Microsoft a
| royalty and it improves performance because
| it's typically faster and less resource-hungry than Windows.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_11304612?source=rss

$98 laptop from China - Industry changer?

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/9/3/48704

HiVision miniNote Linux Laptop

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q208-hivision-mininote-linux-laptop/

$98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote

http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linux-laptop-the-hivision-mininote/

CTL vows $149 Atom, Linux-based desktop

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/09/01/ctl.2go.nettop/