[News] Linux Consolidation Foreseen as ACCESS Linux Appears

Linux-based platforms likely to undergo fast consolidation, says Wind River
executive

,----[ Quote ]
| The varied commercial Mobile Linux platforms, now with active involvement
| from the OHA (Open Handset Alliance) and LiMo Foundation, are likely to
| undergo a consolidation process through which two or three standard mobile
| Linux platforms will dominate the market by 2012-2013, according to Richard
| Lee, country manager, Wind River Taiwan.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090116PD211.html

ACCESS Linux Platform appears as small part of new Sony Cybershot camera

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time I posted about the ACCESS Linux Platform was in August 2007
| when some screenshots were shown at LinuxWorld. If you remember, ALP was the
| Linux-based operating system that Palm was planning to use for their mobile
| phones at one time. Palm then broke off into software (PalmSource) and
| hardware (PalmOne) and then PalmSource was aquired by ACCESS. ACCESS then
| created the ALP, which Palm was intending to use in their new devices. Palm
| then said they were working on their own Linux OS and we now see they have
| launched their own Linux-based OS as Palm WebOS. It appears that ALP is still
| alive though as we see it being a part of the new Sony Cybershot DSC-G3
| camera
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=1586

Recent:

Sony DSC-G3 Camera Has Wi-Fi and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show Sony presented the new camera from
| its Cyber-shot product line. The DSC-G3 comes with a Zeiss lens with 4x zoom,
| a large 3.5" touch display and 4 GBytes of internal memory. Most interesting
| is the camera's software that includes, among other things, face and scene
| recognition, based on Busybox and Kernel 2.6.11 for the Access Linux Platform
| (ALP).
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/sony_dsc_g3_camera_has_wi_fi_and_linux

WiFi digital camera runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony Electronics is shipping a digital still camera with WiFi for uploading
| files to photo-sharing services. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-G3 offers
| 10-megapixel recording, a 4X optical zoom, DLNA compliance, 4GB of memory,
| and face- and scene-recognition software that runs on Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2881537833.html?kc=rss

ACCESS NetFront Browser Widgets Empower SOFTBANK MOBILE

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCESS CO., LTD., a global provider of advanced software technologies to the
| mobile and beyond-PC markets, announced today that its comprehensive Widget
| solution, NetFront(TM) Browser Widgets, has been selected by SOFTBANK MOBILE
| Corp. to implement the operator's new Mobile Widgets service.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ACCESS-NetFront-Browser-Widgets-Empower/story.aspx?guid=%7B6E244C97-43E9-4628-8633-FD5EA19925C0%7D
http://tinyurl.com/59yrmt

Related:

"Access Day" highlights Linux wins, products

,----[ Quote ]
| Access released a lightweight "Mini" version of its Access Linux Platform
| (ALP) mobile phone middleware and application stack. At its "Access Day"
| partner event in Tokyo today, it also previewed ALP 3.0, and highlighted its
| growing list of Linux design wins and ecosystem partners.

ACCESS Extends Mobile Linux Solutions to Emerging Markets and Innovative
Products

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCESS CO., LTD., a global provider of advanced software technologies to the
| mobile and beyond-PC markets, today extended its ACCESS(TM) family of Linux
| platforms to include ACCESS Linux Platform(TM) 3.0 and the new ACCESS Linux
| Platform(TM) mini, a mobile Linux platform targeted at price-sensitive and
| emerging markets.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/access-extends-mobile-linux-solutions/story.aspx?guid=%7B544736CE-4604-4CF0-AEAE-9ED421360E33%7D&dist=hppr

Access Linux Platform Kicks Off

,----[ Quote ]
| After Access bought the Palm OS platform, it had quickly rebadged it to the
| Access Linux Platform (ALP) and ported the operating system to Linux. The
| platform hasn't seen adoption, but that is about to change come October 23.
| According to Just Another Mobile Phone Blog, a Russian phone manufacturer
| will be releasing the Edelweiss handset, which will run on ALP.
`----

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=news&id=6080

A hands-on overview of the Access Linux Platform

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/access-linux-hands-on.ars

ACCESS Linux Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCESS CO., LTD., a global provider of advanced software technologies to the
| mobile and beyond-PC markets, today announced the Company concluded a System
| Engineering Assistance agreement with NTT DOCOMO, INC. on July 16, 2008.
| According to the terms of the agreement, ACCESS will create the technical
| specifications for co-developing an operator pack for ACCESS Linux
| Platform(TM) for DOCOMO's FOMA(TM) 3G handsets. FOMA (Freedom Of Mobile
| multimedia Access) is the brand name for NTT DOCOMO's 3G services, and was
| the world's first W-CDMA 3G service, launched in 2001. The two companies are
| targeting the conclusion of an agreement detailing software development work
| for the FOMA operator pack during August.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/access-ntt-docomo-conclude-technical/story.aspx?guid=%7BC9D9C7E9-F9CD-44D3-A72D-E4CA59A1CD2E%7D&dist=hppr

ACCESS Announces NetFront Browser Widgets on ACCESS Linux Platform, Support for
Mobile Internet Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCESS CO., LTD., a global provider of advanced software technologies to the
| mobile and beyond-PC markets, today announced it is extending the
| functionality of ACCESS Linux Platform with the addition of NetFront(TM)
| Browser Widgets for mobile handsets and consumer electronics, and support for
| Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs). With these new capabilities, businesses can
| quickly implement a wide range of widget services and deploy products in a
| new category of Internet-savvy mobile devices, based on ACCESS Linux
| Platform.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/access-announces-netfront-browser-widgets/story.aspx?guid=%7B8069E2E9-E325-4A76-86A1-62AAB8AEAF55%7D&dist=hppr

Access says Palm touched its OS

,----[ Quote ]
| MOBILE LINUX ghost-OS and micro-browsers firm Access Systems told the
| INQUIRER there will be no Netfront 3.5 browser for Palm devices unless Palm
| requests it, and that Palm has fiddled with its Garnet OS.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/23/access-palm-touched-its-os-therefore-no-netfront-unless-they-ask-for-it

Palm Centro hits 1 million unit mark

,----[ Quote ]
| But if Palm can build off the Centro with its next device, a Linux-based
| handset, we might see Palm back in the mix in a big way.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=25341

Does ACCESS threaten Windows Mobile? (Video demonstration & interview.)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/7183.html