[Rival] BetaVista7 Tested and It Stinks, Rips Off KDE

Windows 7, A Linux User's Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| I realize Windows 7 is still in Beta. I really do. I read that it’s supposed
| to have backwards compatibility with Vista though. I have a corporate version
| of Symantec Antivirus, designed for Vista, and I can not get it to install.
| You tell me I must be administrator. If I try to run as administrator (BTW,
| why can’t you just prompt me for an admin password?), I get crazy messages
| about insecure installation mode, unsupported somethingorother, and you ask
| if I’d like to install with the correct permissions. Sadly, clicking on “YES”
| brings me back to the start.
|
| It scares me to run Windows without anti-virus software, so the inability to
| install Symantec worries me. And that brings me to the interesting
| observation I made while testing Windows 7. Linux has better support for
| software. Give the average user a Beta install of a popular Linux
| distribution, and a Beta install of Windows 7 -- and guess which one will be
| easier to use out of the box? Linux! Which is easier to install software on?
| Linux! Which requires you to enter an absurdly long alphanumeric key in order
| to install? Not Linux!
|
| Microsoft: I was expecting great things with Windows 7, and the most I can
| muster is, “Meh.” I think I’ll go format that hard drive now, because a
| Windows machine without virus protection makes me nervous.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/windows-7-linux-users-perspective

Get the Real Thing: KDE 4.2. Out within a couple of wee.

Recent:

The sound of empire falling

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s another problem. Vista is so dead that Microsoft is already touting
| its successor “System 7". Not end-of-lifing XP on schedule means they’ll
| actually have to support three different operating systems for at least the
| years until System 7 ships, and some time afterward. Even Microsoft is going
| to feel the strain, and ISVs are likely to play safe by writing to the
| minimum (XP) specification.
`----

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=647

Deja Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet when InfoWorld gave Windows 7 a through benchmarking and shakedown, the
| result was the same ill foreboding that accompanied pre-release Vista (and
| proved all too accurate).
`----

http://www.microsplot.com/blog/2008/11/deja_vista

Windows 7 doomed by economic outlook

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft CEO, the shy and retiring, softly spoken Steve Ballmer admitted
| that this was happening and seems to be slowly walking away from Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| It could be that this will be the moment for Linux to make its long awaited
| rise to fame. If firms want to cut costs but upgrade hardware then Linux
| ideas are probably the only way to go forward. Indeed some companies will be
| able to keep their older hardware for a bit longer.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/20/windows-doomed-economic-outlook

Windows 7’s biggest threat: journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| ZDNET.MICROSOFT.COM, Blogosphere.NET, Wednesday (NNGadget) — As Microsoft
| continues to prepare for the 2009 2010 launch of Windows 7, it today issued a
| plea through its network of objective opinion-shapers: Don’t let the
| journalists near it.
|
| Microsoft MSDN software disk scarecrow in cornfield“We understand that many
| journalists use Macs,” said CNet marketing marketer Don Reisinger. “This
| means they necessarily suckle at the Satanic rear passage of Steve Jobs. We
| cannot countenance their bias. Journalists are responsible for all those
| signs outside computer shops offering to replace Vista with XP. When was the
| last time you saw the entire technology field stop and wait for an
| announcement from any other company besides Apple? It’s so unfair!”
`----

http://notnews.today.com/2008/11/12/windows-7s-biggest-threat-journalists/

Windows 7 Unmasked

,----[ Quote ]
| But after the stage props came down, and after the projectors finally went
| cold, attendees were left with a pre-beta copy of something that looked less
| like a new OS than the repackaging of an old one. At least that was my
| impression after I started exploring the Windows 7 M3 (Milestone 3) bits that
| came on my shiny new 160GB Western Digital USB hard disk (one of the better
| tchotchkes I've received at a conference). As I reported on my Enterprise
| Desktop blog, the more I dug into Windows 7, the more I saw an OS that looked
| and felt like a slightly tweaked version of Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Just what was so new about Microsoft's next Windows, apart from a rejuggled
| UI? Windows 7 appeared to suck memory like Vista, to consume CPU like Vista,
| and to have the same consumer focus. How would this product be received by
| enterprise customers, the vast majority of whom had soundly rejected its
| predecessor? After all, if Vista wasn't good enough for big business, then
| surely a Vista-derived encore would meet with a similarly chilly reception.
|
| [...]
|
| Otherwise, Windows 7 operates much like Vista. There are subtle visual tweaks
| here and there, but nothing on the level of the dramatic XP-to-Vista
| transition. Ironically, Vista users may be more annoyed by the UI changes
| than users coming from XP. Because the Windows 7 and Vista Aero experiences
| are so similar, seasoned users of Vista will be more likely to look in the
| wrong places for common functions. By contrast, XP users won't be burdened
| with now-outdated Aero navigation skills.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153624/windows_7_preview.html?tk=rss_news

Re:Actually, maybe not fair

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on the announcements on Windows 7 and the reviews I thought too that
| they had improved the performance of Windows 7 vs. Vista. Then I found an
| article by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols that might explain the "glowing" reviews
| at Microsoft's PDC. It seems that Microsoft may have permanently "loaned"
| $2,000 laptops with 2.4GHz Intel dual cores + 3GB ram to the "reviewers" to
| review Windows 7. If so, that's not the first time they tried that stunt
| (Vista was the first that I recall). So in the answer to the question, "Can a
| leopard change its spots?" if the above is correct then the answer in
| Microsoft's case seems to be "No."
`----

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/02/0130253&from=rss

Microsoft bribes again?

,----[ Quote ]
| But, if as appears may be the case Microsoft is letting people have Dell XPS
| M1330 laptops with 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processors and 3GBs of RAM
| on 'indefinite loans (wink, wink) then it's a bribe in my book. What do you
| think? If you knew someone had been given a PC with a list price of $1,956
| and then wrote nice things about the operating system that came with it would
| you be inclined to think that they might be just a wee bit influenced by the
| almost two grand worth of computer?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

Blacklisted by Microsoft!