[News] Open Source Tool for PlayStation 3 Exploits Cell's Power

Harmonic Software Systems releases open source tool to unlock the power of the
PLAYSTATION 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Harmonic Software Systems has released the Cell/BE Execution Framework (CEF)
| to the open source community, allowing industry and academia to unlock the
| massive computing power, which is within the PLAYSTATION 3’s Cell processor.
|
| Crawley, UK. January 13, 2009. Harmonic Software Systems announced today the
| availability of the Cell Execution Framework (CEF), as a free download under
| the BSD open source license. The CEF has been designed to unlock the power of
| the Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell), so that software engineers can start to
| use the power of the Cell straightaway.
`----

http://www.openpr.com/news/64811/Harmonic-Software-Systems-releases-open-source-tool-to-unlock-the-power-of-the-PLAYSTATION-3.html

Recent:

Hands-on experience: Linux on the PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux on the PS3 is not a new idea. In fact, Sony originally stated that the
| PS3 would come with the open-source OS preinstalled. Times have changed, and
| Sony christened Terra Soft Solutions' Yellow Dog Linux as the official
| distribution for the console. In this post, I'll cover the why and how's of
| installing the operating system, and my personal experiences working with it
| for nearly two years.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10071458-1.html

PlayStation tackles big questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Hooked together in a single cluster, the PS3 consoles provide his department
| with the same amount of computing power as a 400-node supercomputer.
|
| [...]
|
| "Linux can turn any system into a general purpose computer but for it to do
| work for me I have to run my own code on it for astrophysics applications.
| The hard part of the job was to make sure my own calculations could run fast
| on the platform, which meant I had to optimise the written code so it could
| utilise the new features of the system.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/playstation-tackles-big-questions/2008/02/26/1203788327976.html

Related:

Yellow Dog Linux Shipping With Yellow Dog PS3s

,----[ Quote ]
| Terra Soft's Yellow Dog Linux is already a favourite with the type of people
| who like to mess around with their PS3. Now, it's been made available to
| people who aren't so keen to mess around with their PS3.
`----

http://kotaku.com/354771/yellow-dog-linux-shipping-with-ps3

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications.
|
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

PS3 Megabox Homebrew Project Is Linux For Commitment-Phobes

,----[ Quote ]
| A modification of open source software Freevo, Megabox brings VOIP, P2P,
| Firefox, 3D Linux gaming, TV recording (not sure how on this one), and
| emulation—as well as plenty of other features. Essentially, it's Linux
| without the install, reskinned with a neat media center interface. The price
| is right (free) so we'll give this a try and tell you what we think.
`----

http://kotaku.com/346073/ps3-megabox-homebrew-project-is-linux-for-commitment+phobes

Is it games or Blu-Ray driving the PS3 resurgence?

,----[ Quote ]
| Having over 9 million PS3’s sitting in the world’s living rooms gives Blu-Ray
| obvious penetration numbers to throw on the desk of Studio cigar chomping
| suits.  It is easy to make a convincing argument that this, along with
| arguable movie sales themselves may have been the catalyst for Warner to jump
| ship to the Blu-Ray camp.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16156/1093/

PS3 production cost halved

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Playstation 3 cost Sony somewhere around $800 a console to build
| when it was launched in November 2006, Sony has told Business Week that the
| PS3 now costs about $400 to produce - which is similar to the RRP of the new
| 40GB SKU.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/14/ps3-production-cost-halved

StreamMyGame launches Linux player ; Play PC games on your PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| StreamMyGame.com announced today the release of its free Linux Player, an
| application that enables you to play any PC game via a PlayStation 3 running
| Linux.
`----

http://www.kdcstaffs.com/it/main_view.php?nNum=4721&page=&part=Real-Time

PS3 tops Wii in Japan for first time

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii
| game console in Japan in November for the first time, raising the prospect
| that Sony might regain its dominance in the global videogame market.
`----

http://in.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idINIndia-30766820071130

PS3 overtakes Wii in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Some 55,924 PS3s were purchased in the week ending 11 November, compared to
| 34,456 Wiis and just 5817 Xbox 360s. Clearly, the Halo 3 effect and
| Microsoft's price cut have done their work.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/16/japan_wii_ps3_sales/

Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
| company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
| model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/ap_on_hi_te/sony_playstation_sales

Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s

,----[ Quote ]
| The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an
| assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who
| specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did
| this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact
| run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do."
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/10/ps3_supercomputer

Linux petitioners want Sony to open up PS3's graphical innards

,----[ Quote ]
| Access is blocked by the Hypervisor chip so there is no chance of
| getting around it without Sony's approval. And, naturally, Sony
| doesn't want geeks producing 3D games under Linux and undermining
| its investment. It flogs the console in order to make mountains of
| wonga on the highly-priced games folk play on it.
|
| [...]
|
| So now there's a a petition online asking Sony to open up the RSX.
| It's here.

Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found

,----[ Quote ]
| A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
| hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this along
| with a relevant Xorg driver.
`----

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

The hunt for HV's FIFO/Push buffer...