[News] Microsoft's Strategy of Just Copying GNU/Linux Will Fail

How windows anti Linux strategy will backfire in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has a strategy aimed at converting Linux/Unix users to windows,
| this is obvious because they are creating the tools and extensions to windows
| that resemble Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft likes to see open source coming to windows, they rather have people
| using apache and gimp on windows than having them use it on any other OS. But
| the open source software will start eating windows from the inside, firefox,
| open office, the gimp, you name it. People I know are not using Linux, mainly
| because they don't know how to use the programs.
`----

http://www.theothersolution.nl/blog6.php/2009/01/12/how-windows-anti-linux-strategy-will-bac-2009

Related:

Windows Trying to Catch up!

,----[ Quote ]
| Win folks starts cloning with this pathetic attempt to recreate XGL with
| this Yod'm 3D! The 3D Window Manager on Windows from CrystalXp
|
| [...]
|
| Too slow, the desktop bar keeps on jumping out of place and on top
| of all that it doesn't come with decent uninstall feature!!
|
| Advice Don't do it, want a professional cool looking and FREE O/S
| get yourself Linux otherwise stick with your Windows Explorer!!
`----

http://www.mjama.com/mjama/blog/index.php/2007/04/26/windows-trying-to-catch-up/

Desktop dreaming

,----[ Quote ]
| There are Linux users that have little use for productivity suites, and
| depend instead on a simple text editor, which has all the functions any one
| man or woman could need, and makes files that everyone can read.
|
| [...]
|
| Critics like to pretend that free software lacks innovation. This assumption
| is given credibility on the desktop because we can't imagine a different
| universe until we have stopped playing catch up with Windows, and have caught
| a significant share of the Windows market on the desktop.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/265

This eWeek [on Servers]

,----[ Quote ]
| I asked Jason about Windows Server's newfound security: "The first time
| I heard about this new feature," he said, "I thought it was clearly a
| response to Linux.
|
| Windows Server 2008 isn't quite there yet, according to Jason's tests.

Analyzing Microsoft’s OS by Linux Standards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://truefire.wordpress.com/2007/10/06/hello-world/