Re: [Rival] Microsoft Buddy Nortel Going Bankrupt, Oracle Axes Many Employees

____/ RonB on Thursday 15 January 2009 10:28 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ Rex Ballard on Thursday 15 January 2009 04:37 : \____

>>> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=a8E1VQ1yRq8k&refe...
>>>
>>> I wouldn't call Nortel a "Microsoft Buddy".  Their switches and
>>> routers were powered by Linux.
>
> Actually, they've been slowly pulling away from Microsoft -- at least on the
> phone side -- but they were already in the death spiral. The economy hasn't
> been helping any of the telecom equipment makers. Nobody is buying new
> equipment right now.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_ioTYMCHn2M

:-|

I saw another more recent one (about a week ago).

> True story. Our office serviced Nortel switches (I'm a Nortel tech). Our
> main competition was Avaya (or, rather, Lucent at that time). We were both
> trying to get the same big account. Here's how we lost it.
>
> Nortel's Option switches have run on UNIX for a long, long time -- almost
> from the beginning. (Originally they were machine coded.) Their peripherals
> used to run on UNIX (Wind River) but, when Microsoft "invested" money into
> Nortel they started going to the Microsoft for voice mail, ACD (call
> center) and other peripherals. AT&T/Lucent/Avaya stuck with UNIX.
>
> So how did we lose the sale? The Avaya sale's lady (who came to work for us,
> told us the story... In her pitch she just said the following
>
> "Both Nortel and Lucent switches run on UNIX. Both are solid. Their ACD
> software ("Symposium" at the time) runs on Windows our Call Center runs on
> UNIX. Which is more reliable, your phone switches, which run on UNIX or
> your computers, which run on Windows?"
>
> We lost the sale on that one point.

It's interesting that Nortel considered moving all staff to GNU/Linux (on the
desktop). That was in 2007.

Since then, Nortel has appeared in the headlines (inc. press release) with
Microsoft quite a lot. My conviction was based on the fact that they had
become more reliant on Microsoft (and vice versa).

Is /any/ telecom equipment maker relying on Microsoft or Apple for
appliances/routers/other servers? I mean, other than Microsoft with Unified
Comms Server (which seems to a DoA dud)?

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie