Re: [News] BECTA and UK Government Sell Out to Convicted Monopolist

____/ Terry Porter on Thursday 15 January 2009 03:56 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> UK schools chief begs for Home Access scheme cash
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Schools minister Jim Knight, who was speaking at the opening of this
>> | year's Bett event at Olympia in London, said today that Microsoft has
>> | created something he described as a ?re-investment fund?. The software
>> | maker will ?commit to fund a foundation in support of the Home Access
>> | programme,? he said.
>> |
>> | However, Knight didn?t reveal how much cash Microsoft was pumping into
>> | the initiative, which has been periodically wheeled out by the
>> | Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) for the past 12
>> | months, perhaps in part to help resuscitate Gordon Brown's premiership.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | However, this latest agreement with Microsoft to inject some money into
>> | the Home Access programme could ruffle some feathers, particularly among
>> | the open source community.
>> |
>> | The Microsoft-funded foundation will develop and implement a programme
>> | of training and support for teachers, parents, as well as to help
>> | create "awareness" for the Home Office programme, said Knight.
>> `----
>
> Gack, this Microsoft methodology is *straight* out of Comes v/s Microsoft
> emails that Doug M has been posting!

I did some digging and here's what I found:

Could IMS Be Partly Affected by Microsoft? (and How This Relates to BECTA)

“Consultants: These guys are your best bets as moderators. Get a well-known
consultant on your side early, but don’t let him publish anything blatantly
pro-Microsoft. Then, get him to propose himself to the conference organizers
as a moderator, whenever a panel opportunity comes up.”

–Internal Microsoft document

OUR PREVIOUS POST took a preliminary look at what BECTA and Microsoft had done.
It also summarised prior coverage such as [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] and Glyn
finally gets around to saying that “UK Outsources Education IT to Microsoft -
Again.”

A little more research netted the press release at the bottom (from November).
Jean-Philippe Courtois is there and it’s important to remember that he’s also
part of the EDGI anti-GNU/Linux correspondence [1, 2], as well as cronyism in
Europe. Microsoft’s David Driftmier is one of the key people responsible for
EDGI, as noted in [1, 2, 3, 4]. Some digging on Driftmier turns up the IMS
connection because a quick Google on David Driftmier turned up some relevant
factoids about Microsoft’s involvement in an education consortium, IMS. The
technical Microsoft man is Chris Moffatt and some documents worth looking into
are included/embedded in this post.

Here’s Driftmier (for e-learning) praising a new interop (yes, how ironic)
standard [PDF] in July 2005.

“Even government-level decisions on education are impacted by Microsoft staff
that has chairs inside government.”Microsoft hosted this 2007 meeting [PDF] in
Redmond.

At this May 2008 meeting [PDF], the Microsoft statement is listed before all
the others. Why?

We have already commented extensively on Microsoft controlling key positions in
the education sector, sometimes through double-hatted or former staff [1, 2].
Even government-level decisions on education are impacted by Microsoft staff
that has chairs inside government.

Is it not pleasant to find big vendors like Microsoft, IBM, and Oracle sharing
IMS membership with niche software vendors and smaller education systems
providers, and universities too; no Free software organisations in there
nonetheless.

It’s bad enough that Microsoft pressure groups like ACT are in there, as though
you can’t escape Jonathan Zuck and other people who are sponsored by Microsoft
to shoot down threats from a seemingly-independent direction [1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
6, 7, 8].

It would probably be too far-reaching and exaggerated to suggest that IMS is a
Microsoft front (that’s probably why IBM & Oracle are in there), but still. If
their mission really is the creation of “standards for the development and
adoption of technologies that enable high-quality, accessible, and affordable
learning experiences,” then why can’t a prudent observer find anything about
GNU/Linux? Bizarrely, the “open and free” specifications require registration
(the HTML versions “may not be printed”).

BECTA is a member of IMS, and BECTA’s logo is on the members page, as is
Microsoft’s. █

Microsoft and DCSF Sign MOU to Deliver a Better Connected Education
for Students and Teachers in England

LONDON, October 30/PRNewswire/ –

- - The First Public Private Partnership Signed by the Department of
Children, Schools and Families

- - With Photo

Microsoft today signed a three-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
with the Department of Children, Schools and Families (DCSF), to better
connect parents with their children’s education, use technology to re-engage
disengaged students and improve teaching standards and career development
through innovative teachers and coaching programmes. This is the first Public
Private Partnership signed by the DCSF.

The MOU is part of the Microsoft Partners in Learning programme (PiL),
which in the United Kingdom aims to help the government achieve the
objectives of the Children’s Plan and improve the education of primary and
secondary students across England. In the United Kingdom, Microsoft has
worked with governments and government’s agencies in England Scotland and
Wales on Partners in Learning programmes that have reached over 150,000
teachers and over two million students in the past three years.

Today’s agreement means that Microsoft will work with the DCSF and an
advisory council, which will include representatives from all schools-focused
government agencies and other partners, to direct the work of the Partners in
Learning programme (PiL).

Ed Balls, MP, Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families
commented:

“Digital technology is changing how we live our lives and is now a vital
part of every child getting the most out of their studies and preparing for
the world of work.

“By 2011, the Government will have invested GBP6billion in ICT meaning we
have the highest levels of embedded technology in classrooms in the European
Union, one computer for every three pupils, and over 97% of schools have got
a broadband connection.

“But there is more to do. Today’s agreement will help us towards our
plans to close the digital divide forever, and ensure that every school is
making the most out of the best technology available and every teacher and
student can get the most out of it.”

Jean-Philippe Courtois, President, Microsoft International, said:

“Microsoft’s vision for Partners in Learning in the United Kingdom is to
enable learners to become confident, successful contributors to a 21st
century society, and we are delighted to be formalising this commitment today
with the DCSF.”

A picture accompanying this release is available through the PA
Photowire. It can be downloaded from http://www.pa-mediapoint.press.net or
viewed at http://www.mediapoint.press.net or http://www.prnewswire.co.uk.

Source: Microsoft
Emma Turner +44(0)20-3047-2202, emma.turner@xxxxxxxxxxx

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "The only source is Open Source"
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st