Re: [News] BECTA and UK Government Sell Out to Convicted Monopolist

Terry Porter wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

UK schools chief begs for Home Access scheme cash

,----[ Quote ]
| Schools minister Jim Knight, who was speaking at the opening of this
| year's Bett event at Olympia in London, said today that Microsoft has
| created something he described as a ?re-investment fund?. The software
| maker will ?commit to fund a foundation in support of the Home Access
| programme,? he said.
| | However, Knight didn?t reveal how much cash Microsoft was pumping into
| the initiative, which has been periodically wheeled out by the
| Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) for the past 12
| months, perhaps in part to help resuscitate Gordon Brown's premiership.
| | [...] | | However, this latest agreement with Microsoft to inject some money into
| the Home Access programme could ruffle some feathers, particularly among
| the open source community.
| | The Microsoft-funded foundation will develop and implement a programme
| of training and support for teachers, parents, as well as to help
| create "awareness" for the Home Office programme, said Knight.
`----

Gack, this Microsoft methodology is *straight* out of Comes v/s Microsoft
emails that Doug M has been posting!

More lock-in by insinuation into our education system.

Fucking lovely.

I told my sons' secondary school when they started that under no circumstances were they to be taught anything that required a home copy of a restrictively-licensed software package. Their reply? "What do you mean?" No: MSWindows, MSOffice, Frontpage extensions... or anything else that starts the EULA with "This software is licensed, not sold"...

They weren't happy, and still aren't happy, that I refuse to fork over money for software that not only do I end up not actually owning (hang on, isn't that against the law?), it also signs over /my/ hardware and /my/ data to Redmond. Ain't gonna happen.

What they're also not happy about is the fact that my sons' coursework assignments are submitted in opendocument format (prior to odf becoming an iso standard they were submitted in pdf). Well, boo-fucking-hoo! I'm SOOOO SORRY that their insanely busy tech staff (busy with delousing Wintendos) have to go the extra mile in downloading and installing a free office package that pisses all over a certain very costly office package and conforms to industry standard file formats to boot!

People should get with the times. Microsoft is a dinosaur and it's about time that meteor came in and put Redmond out of all our miseries.

--
TLP

- Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went nuts.

 - No, I will not fix your computer.

 - Thought: It must be a bitch to write your name in the snow in Arabic...

 - Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

 - Rice: 1.4 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

- I'm dreaming of a better world where chickens can cross the road and not have their motives questioned!

 - If you can make a cheesecake you can install a Linux driver from source.

- Don't listen to the do-gooders, condoms are useless. They split, they leak and they burst. And the human stomach can't handle the impact of two kilos of cocaine.

*#* Signoff: labo-rat (find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;)