[News] Al Jazeera Embraces Creative Commons Licence

Al Jazeera Announces Launch of Free Footage under Creative Commons License

,----[ Quote ]
| Al Jazeera Network today announced the world's first repository of broadcast
| quality video footage released under the ‘Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution’
| license.
`----

http://cc.aljazeera.net/content/launch-press-release

Recent:

A Derivative of Open Source: What is Crowdsourcing?

,----[ Quote ]
| In many ways, you can consider Crowdsourcing as a derivative of Open Source,
| which relies on a community of developers to freely contribute, alter, and
| use software under a general public license. (This is different from
| Microsoft who doesn't allow anyone but their own employees to alter the
| software). Drupal is one example, which is an Open Source CMS platform that
| enables people to build social publishing websites. [Disclosure: I work for
| Acquia, a startup that is commercializing the software.]
`----

http://collegemogul.com/12/25/08/A-Derivative-of-Open-Source-What-is-Crowdsourcing

3 Tips For Getting More Out Of Creative Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| Creative Commons is becoming a web force to be reckoned with. I recently
| switched to a Firefox browser from Internet Explorer (a revelation in many
| ways, but that’s another article) and didn’t even have to modify my toolbar
| to create a Creative Commons search shortcut. CC is one of the default
| directories; it was already there, alongside big names Yahoo, Google, Amazon,
| Answers.com, eBay and Wikipedia.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-tips-for-getting-more-out-of-creative-commons/

Social Contracts, Social Justice, and the Creative Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| For some time now, I've found the Creative Commons philosophy morally
| troubling in a way that the free software philosophy isn't, without being
| able to satisfactorily articulate precisely why. (I want to stress that I am
| criticising the project, not the people involved in it or people who use CC
| licenses, many of whom recognise that it is an imperfect but useful tool for
| achieving goals which I would consider quite compatible with my own.) Last
| week Science Commons, a subproject of the Creative Commons, released a short
| video summarising their mission.
`----

http://coffs.free.net.au/node/56

Wikia Statement on GNU Free Document License 1.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikia today announced that it is excited the Free Software Foundation has
| agreed to allow wiki content available under the GNU Free Documentation
| License (FDL) to be re-licensed under the Creative Commons Share Alike
| License.
`----

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2008/12/prweb1756154.htm

Richard Stallman supports Creative Commons. Do you?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sounds like a strong endorsement from someone with demanding standards.
`----

http://www.movingtofreedom.org/2008/12/04/richard-stallman-supports-creative-commons-do-you/

More Musicians Recognizing The Power Of Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Every time I think we're finally reaching the point where these types of
| stories aren't necessary any more, because we've shown so many different
| musicians give away their music for free and make more money because of the
| additional business models they put in place, we see someone making a
| statement like: "but, if they give music away for free, they don't make any
| money and won't keep producing music." So, apparently, the message still
| isn't getting through. Just because you give away your music for free, it
| doesn't mean that you don't make money. You just need to put in place a
| business model where the free music increases the value of some other
| scarcity.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081203/0240563005.shtml

Creative Commons Asks How You Define "Non-Commercial"

,----[ Quote ]
| Joi Ito and the Creative Commons need help getting the word out -- and
| defined. Creative Commons licenses allow (to varying degrees) the content
| they apply to to be freely used, distributed, and altered, with varying
| levels of attribution or certain restrictions on commercial use. One of the
| gray areas Creative Commons has been grappling with is how exactly one
| defines "non-commercial."
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/creative-commons-asks-how-you-define-non-commercial

Award-winning Open Source Doc Looks at Digital Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Digital technology opens up an unprecedented global economy of ideas. RiP
| explores the robber barons and revolutionaries squaring off across this new
| frontier as the film journeys from the control rooms of Washington to the
| favelas of Brazil.
|
| Along the way, Gaylor interviews key figures about the complexities of
| intellectual property in the digital era, among them Creative Commons founder
| Lawrence Lessig, culture critic Cory Doctorow, Brazilian musician and former
| Minister of Cultural Affairs Gilberto Gil, and Jammie Thomas, the single mom
| successfully sued by the Recording Industry Association of America for
| illegal downloading.
`----

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=93048&issue=12032008

Introduction to Copyleft Movement