[News] Example Application for Mobile Linux/Android

Imeem for Android Will Rock Your G1

,----[ Quote ]
| Imeem's android application offers an easy and clear-sounding way to listen
| to music on your G1. While it doesn't quite duplicate all the functions of
| the Web version of Imeem, it does serve up plenty of music without costing a
| penny.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Imeem-for-Android-Will-Rock-Your-G1-65791.html

Recent:

MIT students demonstrate their Android applications

,----[ Quote ]
| This just in; kids that go to MIT are really F-ing smart. I just saw seven
| Android applications that have been developed over the short span of four
| months — with very little (if any) money — as part of a class
| called “Building Mobile Applications with Android”. It was a lot like most
| college presentations, except that HTC, Google, Verizon, Sprint, and the
| press don’t usually show up.
|
| Hit the jump for a peek at the applications.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/09/mit-students-demonstrate-their-android-applications/

T-Mobile and Google cozy up with Android

,----[ Quote ]
| As for other carriers in the United States, Sprint joined the Open Handset
| Alliance from the outset and is a founding member. Verizon's CEO has been
| quoted as saying, "We're planning on using Android." Meanwhile, AT&T's CEO
| is "encouraged by the idea that an Android phone could host AT&T branded
| apps." That said, Verizon and AT&T have yet to make anything official,
| although nothing is stopping them from releasing Android-powered handsets in
| the future.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/04/26/t-mobile-and-google-cozy-up-with-android

Nokia Calls for Openness

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking as the lunch keynote at The Mobile Future, a day-long conference
| sponsored by Carnegie Mellon and the University of California at Berkeley ,
| Iannucci laid out his thoughts on how his industry has to change in order to
| spur the next generation of mobile demand.
|
| Openness, of course, refers to having standard platforms that applications
| developers can work on; the Android platform from Google would be one
| example. (See Now Wait for Android.)
|
| [...]
|
| But openness is going to be necessary, because it's the mobile industry's
| best shot at discovering the applications that will drive the next wave of
| wireless demand. The agony of debugging an application across a couple dozen
| phone models is enough to scare away would-be developers, Iannucci said.
`----

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=151753&f_src=unstrung_gnews

T-Mobile tips broad push for open platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| T-Mobile is expected to be the first carrier to field a cellphone using
| Google's Android platform when it launches a handset using the software later
| this year. Ultimately it will support many devices using the Linux-based
| software with links to Google's Internet services.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207401396

Nearly 20% of Mid- and High-End Mobile Devices Will Run a Linux Operating
System by 2013, According to ABI Research

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, which has been much maligned by Symbian and Microsoft as a non-starter
| in the handset operating system market, is set to see strong growth as issues
| with framework fragmentation and silicon requirements are alleviated. The
| growing momentum behind the LiMo Foundation initiative, as well as the
| marketing boost that has been realized from the entry of Google’s Android
| solution has been further enhanced by Nokia’s support of the Maemo solution
| and its purchase of Trolltech. ABI Research believes that by 2013, nearly one
| out of every five mid- or high-end mobile devices will use a Linux operating
| system.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080421005759&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/53e5s9

Android Finding New Fan In AT&T

,----[ Quote ]
| When Android was first announced, AT&T didn't have very nice things to say
| about it.  The company's tone has become much more positive, however - even
| to the point that AT&T seems ready to work with the mobile platform.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/04/03/android-finding-new-fan-in-att

AT&T might sell Android phones, someday

,----[ Quote ]