[News] A Look at the Health of Perl 6 and Python 3

Healthcheck: Perl

,----[ Quote ]
| There are encouraging signs. The Perl Foundation recently received a $200,000
| grant from Ian Hague to support Perl 6 development; key projects have well
| defined roadmaps and have been hitting their targets; and Patrick Michaud,
| who leads the development of Rakudo (Perl 6 on the Parrot virtual machine),
| has said that it is starting to 'feel like Perl' (and rakudo has been able to
| run a growing subset of Perl 6 for a long time).
|
| I think we're unlikely to see a full Perl 6 before Christmas 2009, but
| there's a history of announcing interesting developments at the Open Source
| Conference.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Healthcheck-Perl-The-Perl-Future--/features/112388

The Evolution of Python 3

,----[ Quote ]
| In December 2008, the Python developers released Python 3.0, a new version of
| the popular dynamic programming language. While Python creator Guido van
| Rossum had discussed ideas for Python 3000 (renamed Python 3.0) for several
| years, the community began to work on it in earnest in 2005. Guido generously
| agreed to discuss the development process and what this new release means for
| the future of the language.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/the-evolution-of-python-3.html

"I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the
public good."

                                                --Adam Smith

Recent:

Perl 5 completes move to Git

,----[ Quote ]
| The Git distributed source code management system has won over another major
| project, Perl 5. The Perl Foundation has announced that they have completed
| moving the source code of Perl 5 from Perforce to Git and are now opening the
| system up for developer use. Git is the open sourced source code control
| system created by Linus Torvalds to manage Linux development. The move to Git
| gives developers equal and easier access to the Perl source code and the
| distributed nature of git will allow developers to work on experimental
| changes to the language more easily.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Perl-5-completes-move-to-Git--/news/112300

Perl 5.8.9 released

| Perl 5.8.9 has been released as the latest and probably last significant
| release of the Perl 5.8 series. Future releases of the Perl 5.8 series are
| expected to only deal with security and platform build issues. The developers
| note that users of Perl should look at migrating to the newer 5.10.x series]
| if they can because of the many bug fixes which could not be back ported to
| the 5.8 series. Perl 5.10.1 is expected to arrive in the near future.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Perl-5-8-9-released--/news/112261

What’s New In Python 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| This article explains the new features in Python 3.0, compared to 2.6. Python
| 3.0, also known as “Python 3000” or “Py3K”, is the first ever intentionally
| backwards incompatible Python release. There are more changes than in a
| typical release, and more that are important for all Python users.
| Nevertheless, after digesting the changes, you’ll find that Python really
| hasn’t changed all that much – by and large, we’re mostly fixing well-known
| annoyances and warts, and removing a lot of old cruft.
`----

http://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

Python 3.0 "Python 3000" Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Python Software Foundation has this afternoon announced the
| much-anticipated release of Python 3.0 (a.k.a. Python 3000).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjkwMQ

Python Shows Continual Growth in Open Source Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| Python is a mature, flexible language that allows developers to concentrate
| on business solutions rather than technology problems, and has shown
| continual growth over the past decade.
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/Members/netsight/python-growth001

Python Conference Changes Venue to Accommodate Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008, its first year in Chicago, PyCon stunned organizers by drawing over
| 1000 attendees, up from 586 in 2007 and 410 in 2006. To avoid running out of
| room in 2009, organizers have moved next year's conference to Chicago's Hyatt
| Regency from the Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, its 2008 venue.

Python 3.0 makes a big break

,----[ Quote ]
| Typically, each new version of the Python programming language has been
| gentle on users, more or less maintaining backward compatibility with
| previous versions. But in 2000, when Python creator Guido van Rossum
| announced that he was embarking on a new version of Python, he did not sugar
| coat his plan: Version 3.0 would not be backward-compatible. Now that the
| first release candidate of Python 3.0 is out, with final release planned for
| later this month, developers must grapple with the issue of whether to
| maintain older code or modify it to use the new interpreter.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/150399

Python's New Release Bridges the Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source Python programming language is on the verge a sweeping revamp
| in the form of version 3.0 of its platform -- a release will deviate in many
| ways from the current, mainline Python 2.x series.
|
| So how do you meet the needs of current 2.x Python developers while
| transitioning to the bleeding edge of Python 3.0 development? That's where
| the new Python 2.6 release comes into play.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3775901/Pythons+New+Release+Bridges+the+Gap.htm

Python for Unix and Linux System Administration

,----[ Quote ]
| All languages are tools: simply a means to get work done. They have value
| insofar as they help you get your job done better. So state Noah Gift and
| Jeremy Jones in Python for Unix and Linux System Administration (O'Reilly, US
| $49.99), adding, "We believe that Python is a valuable tool, specifically
| because it enables you to get your work done efficiently."
`----

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/30639/

Jython Reborn

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a fun game to play at your next developer cocktail party. If someone
| asks you what you're interested in, tell them "Jython." Inevitably, their
| response will be, "Jython is dead." Six months ago, I would have agreed, but
| with recent investment by Sun Microsystems, it appears that Jython is very
| much alive and ready to be used. I'll spend a little bit of time talking
| about some recent Jython history, and then compile the latest revision of
| Jython from source and play around with it a bit.
`----

http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/3748556

Sun hires two key Python developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems Inc. is looking to bolster its position in the Python
| programming realm through the hiring of two prominent developers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=development&articleId=9066359&taxonomyId=11&intsrc=kc_top

Python Fans Take Aim at the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| After years in the shadows, the open source Python programming language is
| becoming increasingly mainstream. There are more users and more tools.
| Backers of Python now argue that Python is ready for the enterprise.
|
| [...]
|
| "Many businesses see the software development world in terms of Visual Basic,
| Java, and C/C++/C#. Some simply aren't aware of Python, yet, " Goodger
| argued. "Any competent programmer can easily learn Python and be productive
| within a few hours or days at most."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3738856/Python+Fans+Take+Aim+at+the+Enterprise.htm

First Day of Python for my Vietnamese Students

,----[ Quote ]
| I chose Python over PHP and Java out of personal bias. Tracy Reed introduced
| Python and Plone to me nearly 3 years ago. I also chose Python since, unlike
| other programming languages, it is installed by default in both the LInux and
| BSD distributions (Perl is also installed by default). I also am quite
| impressed at how many LESS lines of code you need to do a simple program when
| compared to Perl/CGI and PHP, the two programming languages I learned in the
| past. The infamous Helloworld program only takes one line in Python alone!!!
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/?p=674

Python upgrades readied for 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers of the Python programming language are working concurrently on two
| upgrades to the core platform, both to arrive in 2008, representatives of
| Python said Wednesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1060483239&rid=-50

Python Magazine Lives

,----[ Quote ]
| There are columnists, there are tech editors, there are authors. Articles
| have been commissioned. Logos and trademarks are in place. The design team is
| rocking, the contract team is rolling, and the emails are flying. In the
| background, the sound of constant typewriter activity can be heard, just like
| on those old newscasts from the old Cronkite days. Exciting times!
`----

http://m0j0.wordpress.com/2007/07/03/python-magazine-lives/

Python Enters KDE SVN with Guidance

,----[ Quote ]