[News] [Rival] Microsoft Fakes Vista7 'Leak'

Microsoft and Artificial Scarcity

,----[ Quote ]
| So either they're saying that they didn't expect Windows 7 beta to be popular
| and their infrastructure doesn't scale, or they've let this happen on purpose
| to generate a little buzz. In other words, in order to make Windows 7
| desirable, first you make it unobtainable....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/microsoft-and-artificial-scarcity.html

Windows 7 Beta 1: Copy Cat or Innovation?

,----[ Quote ]
| PR and the supposed ‘leak’
|
| It should be clear to all of us that these versions floating around various
| torrent sites – and especially the beta 1 – are carefully planned by public
| relations. And it’s brilliant. Why?
|
|     * Because they reach their target audience, people with tech skills who
|     are still enthusiastic about Windows and are taking time to download,
|     install and test the operating system. Most of them have blogs and will
|     surely post something about it and creating hype for the next release.
|     * Zero distribution costs via peer-to-peer networks; no responsibility
|     for download speed or failures.
|     * Press coverage on all the major blogs with little adverse consequences;
|     even if the review is negative – the release is not official.
|     * A large, no-consequences, zero logistics, no expense beta test; Judging
|     by ThePirateBay seeder/leecher ratio and the time of upload, more than 30
|     000 tech savvy people are running Windows 7 beta 1 right now and probably
|     submitting bugs, crash reports and hardware information.
|     * Frameworks inside Windows 7 allow remote deactivation or ‘crippling’
|     via de WGA scheme. Your copy of Windows 7 works because Microsoft lets
|     you. And they know a new machine is online the minute Windows connects to
|     the internet.
`----

http://tuxgeek.me/2009/01/windows-7-beta-1-copy-cat-or-innovation/

Microsoft also bribes people for bogus reviews.

Recent:

Win 7: Demo Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Here’s a look at the hardware that Microsoft is using to demonstrate their
| lastest pre-beta version of Windows 7. Journalist reviewers are loaned 1 of
| two models of laptop, the hard hitting, but feather weight Dell 1330 and a
| lenovo laptop with an SSD hard-drive (I don’t recall the model). That’s all I
| can say about the lenovo, since I wasn’t assigned that machine. My reviews
| will be based on the Dell.
`----

http://geekpi.com/?p=26#more-26

GeekPI Coverage of PDC

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m attending a good number of the conferences at PDC, and as part of the
| media, was loaned a laptop with a certain operating system to take back to
| the geek-lair. Check back at 9 am PST to find out some surprising new facts
| about the new Windows 7. I’m pretty excited about it and I think you should
| too.
|
| Oh, and just a note, other than this loaner laptop, I receive zero
| compensation from Microsoft (or from any other entity), my regular job is
| covering my travel expenses to the conference, and I receive no advertising
| dollars from this website. I do this just for the heck of it, and I really
| think the GeekPI coverage is going to put the rest of those ‘tech’ blogs to
| shame.
`----

http://geekpi.com/?p=27

Microsoft bribes again?

,----[ Quote ]
| But, if as appears may be the case Microsoft is letting people have Dell XPS
| M1330 laptops with 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processors and 3GBs of RAM
| on 'indefinite loans (wink, wink) then it's a bribe in my book. What do you
| think? If you knew someone had been given a PC with a list price of $1,956
| and then wrote nice things about the operating system that came with it would
| you be inclined to think that they might be just a wee bit influenced by the
| almost two grand worth of computer?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

Blacklisted by Microsoft!

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically, they blacklisted me from certain super-secret (i.e.
| pre-conference, NDA, off-the books) sessions at their Professional Developer
| Conference (PDC) –- this after formally inviting me to attend those sessions
| as an "esteemed reviewer" representing InfoWorld.
|
| [...]
|
| Oct. 9, 2008 -- A short while later, I get my first hit. It seems that the
| whole mess started when the Windows Server team made the mistake of inviting
| yours truly to an event hosted by the Windows Client team. Apparently, the
| folks on the Server team were unaware of my decidedly negative views towards
| Vista, and when the Client folks found out they had invited Randall C.
| Kennedy -– a.k.a. Vista's most vocal and effective critic -– to their
| special, "for fanbois only" (nice photos, Paul) shindig, they went ballistic.
|
| First, it appears that someone high up on the Client Team (Steve?) really
| doesn't like me. I mean, really, truly loathes me. And it's not just your
| run-of-the-mill frustration with a journalist who picks on them. This thing
| is personal, and the executive in question is allowing his or her personal
| feelings to spill over into the company's handling of formal press relations
| with InfoWorld.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2008/10/blacklisted_by.html

Related:

PC Mag May Boycott Edelman PR

,----[ Quote ]
| Transparency is a word that's been kicked around a lot lately. But
| too much transparency is what got Edelman PR pro and blogebrity
| Steve Rubel kicked around this week, instead. An early Friday
| 13th comment about PC Magazine is fueling a potential boycott,
| as well as fulfilling what the PR world had feared about blogging.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2007/04/20/pc-mag-may-boycott-edelman-pr

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Microsoft Sent A Free Laptop With Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not sure how I was selected to be one of the people receiving this
| (I'm assuming there are others, but I haven't come across any yet).
| It could be that they are reaching out to bloggers who are Mac users
| (I switched to a Mac back when OS X came out) or it might just be that
| people I know who work for Microsoft or other influential bloggers
| recommended me
`----

http://laughingsquid.com/microsoft-sent-a-free-laptop-with-windows-vista/

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html