[News] FCC Learns About DRM; MAFIAA Loses

My comment to the FCC on DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM is a disaster for everyone involved with it, because it cannot do what it
| claims but imposes large costs in the process of failing. The people who have
| sold DRM technologies to Big Media are frauds playing on the ignorance of
| media executives, and both the media companies and the consumer have suffered
| greatly and unnecessarily as a result.
|
| DRM cannot do what it claims for at least three reasons. First, pirates
| readily bypass it by duplicating physical media. Second, DRM algorithms
| cannot “see” any data that the host device does not present to them; thus,
| they can always be spoofed by a computer emulating an environment in which
| the DRM algorithm thinks release is authorized. Third, for humans to view or
| hear the content it must at some point exit the digital realm of DRM to a
| screen and speakers; re-capturing the data stream at that point bypasses any
| possible protections.
`----

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=734

RIAA throws in the towel

,----[ Quote ]
| THE MUSIC MAFIAA gave up on one of its oppressive copyright infringement
| lawsuits the other day by requesting dismissal of Atlantic Recording v
| Brennan in a Connecticut federal court.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/314/1050314/riaa-throws-in-the-towel

Recent:

DRM is always anti-user

,----[ Quote ]
| No user likes DRM. What Cory Doctorow said about Sony is really true for all
| DRM: “No Sony customer woke up one morning and said, “Damn, I wish Sony would
| devote some expensive engineering effort in order that I may do less with my
| music.”". Expanding the DRM acronym (to mean “digital restrictions
| management” or “digital rights management”) is a matter of what side you’re
| on. If you’re on the user’s side, the side that says you ought to be able to
| treat stuff you bought as your own, you’ll not forget that “digital rights
| management” is “private language” as well. It’s language that exists to
| promulgate the publisher’s perspective instead of the user’s perspective thus
| reframing the debate to getting us to believe that our needs are less
| important or completely ignorable. The thing that makes DRM interesting to
| publishers is how well it can restrict users from doing what users want to
| do. Hence digital restrictions management is a more honest way of looking at
| what DRM means.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2008/11/28/drm-is-always-anti-user/

EFF: Apple DisplayPort DRM Will Lead to More Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154583/.html?tk=rss_news