[News] OpenMono Runs Android, More Linux Phones Roundup

"Social electronics," open source, and Linux smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko CEO Sean Moss-Pultz responded to some questions from OpenMoko
| community members in a lengthy status update posted to the project's mailing
| list. In the message, he provides insight into some plans for the future and
| also shares his views about the project's recent struggles and successes.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090107-social-electronics-open-source-and-linux-smartphones.html

A second Android phone tips up

,----[ Quote ]
| THERE'S NOW a second Android phone on the market, and this one is from an
| unlikely source, FIC. Yeah, OpenMoko Freerunner has Android up and running
| without being locked.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/319/1050319/a-second-android-phone-tips-up

Recent:

OpenMoko's OM2008.9 for the Neo FreeRunner

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenMoko project recently released a much-needed update to the official
| software stack of the Neo FreeRunner. I've had a FreeRunner for a few months
| and during that time I have used it to run everything from Debian to Qtopia
| (now known as QT Extended), so when OpenMoko announced the OM2008.9 update I
| eagerly upgraded to see what it had to offer.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/openmokos-om20089-neo-freerunner

OpenMoko CEO: Embrace fragmentation, diversity is a strength

,----[ Quote ]
| During his presentation, Moss-Pultz looked back at the successes and
| challenges encountered by the OpenMoko community in the past year and talked
| about how the project's adaptability and commitment to freedom have
| contributed to its current status.
|
| Although the OpenMoko concept was initially met with enormous skepticism, it
| has achieved success and is now generating profit. The company's first
| handset, the Neo1973, was manufactured in limited quantity and sold out
| completely within the first three days after it launched. Demand for the
| product was unexpectedly high, and Moss-Pultz humorously remarked that it
| probably would have sold out faster if the servers had been able to better
| withstand the massive traffic.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-openmoko-ceo-embrace-fragmentation-diversity-is-a-strength.html

Open source phone goes to college

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenLab will encourage students to develop their own projects based on
| Openmoko software and hardware, says Openmoko. Working with National Tsing
| Hua University, Openmoko has developed a curriculum for OpenLab that is being
| released under a creative commons share-alike license.
|
| [...]
|
| Stated Jyuo-Min-Shyu, Dean, Tsing Hua College of Electronic Engineering and
| Computer Sciences, "The lab is great, and we have Neo FreeRunner phones right
| at our students' fingertips."
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8959938447.html?kc=rss

Open Linux phone gets datacasts

,----[ Quote ]
| The Communications Research Center Canada (CRC) has created a prototype
| handset that can receive datacasting signals. Its Linux-based "Openmokast"
| phone is built atop OpenMoko's open-source Neo FreeRunner phone platform, and
| along with typical smartphone functions, supports reception of live digital
| radio, video, and data broadcasts.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6565189083.html?kc=rss

I'm super excited to begin work on this project [porting DeviceScape to the
OpenMoko]

,----[ Quote ]
| To the best of my knowledge this is the first (or one of the first) non-FIC
| commercial applications being ported/developed for the OpenMoko/FreeRunner
| stack.
`----

http://blog.holdenkarau.com/2008/08/im-super-excited-to-begin-work-on-this.html

First Openmoko Custom Phone Now Available and Wears a Debian Plaid Kilt

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/07/first-openmoko.html