[News] Free Software on The Cloud: Consortium Pondered

Open Cloud Conundrum, Open Cloud Consortium

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the hot areas in 2008 was cloud computing, and 2009 looks likely to be
| a year that is equally occupied with the subject. But cloud computing
| represents something of a conundrum for the open source world.
|
| Much of it is built using free software infrastructure - naturally enough,
| since it scales well both in terms of performance and cost. But it's not
| clear from a legal viewpoint whether providing cloud computing services
| constitutes distributing software in the sense of traditional free software
| licences like the GNU GPL.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1706&blogid=14

Wireshark

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source network protocol analyzer is backed by support, training, and
| complementary products from CACE Technologies.
`----

http://www.isp-planet.com/equipment/2009/wireshark.html

Recent:

AGPL and Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion we will continue to access AGPL works into main subject to
| the rest of the checks that we also normally perform.

GPLv3/AGPLv3 Adoption: If It Happened Too Fast, I'd Be Worried

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the release of GPLv3, technology pundits have been opining about how
| adoption is unlikely, usually citing Linux's still-GPLv2 status as (often
| their only) example. Even though I'm a pro-GPLv3 (and, specifically,
| pro-AGPLv3) advocate, I have never been troubled by slow adoption, as long as
| it remained on a linear upswing from release day onward (which it has).
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2008/nov/13/gplv3-agplv3-adoption/

AGPLMail - A new horizon?

,----[ Quote ]
| The new challenge for freesoftware enthusiasts is the menace called 'Cloud
| Computing' which is basically Software as a Service(SaaS) shrouded in a
| catchy name. The new licence AGPLv3 is framed precisely  to counter this
| unhealthy trend.
`----

http://suruma.freeflux.net/blog/archive/2008/11/27/agplmail-a-new-horizon.html

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/agplv3-keeps-open-source-vibrant-age-saas