[News] Early Review of SimplyMEPIS 8.0

SimplyMEPIS 8.0 - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a Linux enthusiast, you have probably heard of SimplyMEPIS. It is a
| Debian-based distribution, aiming at being simple and usable out of the box.
| Currently, version 7.0 is available to the users, with advanced betas of
| version 8.0 getting ever more ready toward the release.
|
| [...]
|
| SimplyMEPIS is a nice distro. It's neither spectacular nor catastrophic. It
| sits somewhere in the middle between very simple and very un-simple distros.
| Compared to Ubuntu or SUSE, it does lag somewhat behind.
|
| The greatest disappointment are the bleak live session and the clumsy network
| support, which could have been so easily avoided. On the other hand, it does
| come with lots of goodies pre-baked, like Flash or MP3 codecs. When it comes
| to configurations, the layout of menus and the wording used are not very
| intuitive. Yet, it is fast and good-looking.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mepis.html

"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft
generally signals publicly -- and their customers are using it..."

           --Paul DeGroot, a Directions On Microsoft analyst

Recent:

MEPIS projects are nearing completion; position relative to sidux

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS typically tracks Debian Stable. While the
| current release, SimplyMEPIS 7.0, is based on Debian Etch
| (the current Debian Stable release), SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is
| based on the current Testing, but soon to be Stable,
| release known as Debian Lenny.
|
| AntiX typically tracks the Debian Testing release. Since
| Lenny is currently in Testing, SimplyMEPIS and AntiX are
| very similar and they are extremely stable.
`----

http://usalug-org.blogspot.com/2008/12/mepis-projects-are-nearing-completion.html

MEPIS Linux 8.0 nears release

http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/09/29/mepis-linux-80-nears-release/