Re: [News] R Receives Good Coverage in the Paper

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:32:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Data Analysts Captivated by Rʼs Power
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| It is also free. R is an open-source program, and its popularity reflects a
>| shift in the type of software used inside corporations. Open-source software
>| is free for anyone to use and modify. I.B.M., Hewlett-Packard and Dell make
>| billions of dollars a year selling servers that run the open-source Linux
>| operating system, which competes with Windows from Microsoft. Most Web sites
>| are displayed using an open-source application called Apache, and companies
>| increasingly rely on the open-source MySQL database to store their critical
>| information. Many people view the end results of all this technology via the
>| Firefox Web browser, also open-source software.
> `----
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/business-computing/07program.html?em

Kind of odd that the new york times would confuse a programming language
with a program.  They call R an "open source program", but languages, by
definition are not programs.  They are a specification that can be
implemented, typically as both open source and closed source programs.