[News] Desktop GNU/Linux Targets Kids with New Browser

Linux desktop gains kid-friendly browser

,----[ Quote ]
| A start-up has launched a browser extension aimed at turning the Internet
| into a friendlier place for kids aged 3-12. Available in free and
| subscription versions, KidZui's "KidZui" extension is said to provide a
| captive portal to 1.5 million pre-screened websites.

Let Your Geeky Kids Play Online With KidZui

,----[ Quote ]
| Fast forward just over two decades, and I now find myself worrying about the
| online activities of my two young girls, now aged 6 and 8, both of whom
| started using the computer when they were just three years old.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/let-your-geeky-kids-play-online-with-kidzui/

"It just tells you how desperate Microsoft is for a competitor that they’re
holding up a software box produced by 100 guys in the hills of North Carolina.
Who are they trying to kid?"

                --Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat

Recent:

Foresight Kid's can inspire young minds

,----[ Quote ]
| My 4-year-old granddaughter test drove Foresight Kid's Edition and had a
| wonderful time. Her previous computer experience didn't include menu
| operation as far as I knew, but she had observed its use. Up until this point
| she had been accustomed to finding the icons for Tuxpaint and Frozen Bubble
| on the desktop. Possibly due to the contrast, she was first drawn to the
| Trash icon, but it didn't take long before she was clicking the menu start
| button. When the menu unfolded, she moved the cursor to the snaky Nibbles
| icon and clicked.
|
| [...]
|
| Foresight Kid's Edition is a useful system for children of all ages. From an
| educational tool to an everyday desktop, Foresight Kid's seems to be quite
| flexible despite its emphasis on young ones. It would be particularly handy
| for setting up a system for children using an older computer you were
| thinking of throwing out, or a replacement for other systems that are prone
| to dangerous malware.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148942

Foresight Kid's Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight Kid's Edition is a Linux distribution for children that features a
| number of education and entertainment applications, as well as the benefits
| of the Foresight GNOME Edition: a rolling release schedule that always keeps
| your desktop up to date; a revolutionary package manager, Conary; a
| customized GNOME desktop environment and an innovative set of excellent, up
| to date software applications.
`----

http://www.foresightlinux.org/kids.html

Related:

Tux Goes to Elementary School

,----[ Quote ]
| Kiddix Computing has come up with a Linux-based operating system designed
| especially for children aged 5-10.
|
| [...]
|
| The same kids who were puzzled by Windows XP picked Kiddix up right away.
| Also, it's supposed to be an introduction to computers -- you can always move
| your kids up to Gentoo or Ubuntu after they've gotten the hang of things or
| if they outgrow the simple interface of Kiddix.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/07/tux-goes-to-ele.html

You silly rabbit Linux is for kids

,----[ Quote ]
| If you own an older computer (Pentium 2 or newer) and have a few
| hours free one weekend you can build your children a great computer
| so that they can play educational games and do their school work.
| Now you can finally have your computer back.
`----

http://cyberpunkcafe.com/news.php?extend.74

Beryl + AIGLX - 2 Year old using Beryl as proof of how simple it is!

,----[ Quote ]
| Proof Beryl is so simple a 2 year old can use it!
`----

http://youtubelinux.blogspot.com/2006/11/beryl-aiglx-2-year-old-using-beryl-as.html

Ubuntu Sharing on a Saturday Morning!

,----[ Quote ]