[News] OpenDocument Scores Another Big Win

Major Win for ODF in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]
| Until the latest version of the e-Ping the format ODF was recommended to the
| status of the document, and voluntary bodies to use, version 4.0 in the ODF
| takes characteristic of adopted thus becomes mandatory for all government
| agencies direct, municipalities and foundations.]
|
| As ever, Brazil's decision is doubly significant: important in itself, given
| the size of the country, and important as an example to others.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/major-win-for-odf-in-brazil.html

Recent:

Governments Increasingly Turn to OpenDocument Format as ODF Alliance Marks
Unprecedented 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The ranks of governments adopting the OpenDocument Format (ODF) continued to
| grow, as did the depth and range of ODF applications, according to the annual
| report published by the ODF Alliance.
|
| "With a variety of powerful word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation
| software products now supporting ODF, many of them available free of charge,
| it comes as no surprise that more and more governments are now requiring the
| use of ODF," said ODF Alliance managing director Marino Marcich. "Governments
| can be assured that they will have access to important documents and records
| many years and decades from now with no worries that their software provider
| will discontinue support for the format. Just as importantly, with ODF,
| governments can avoid imposing on themselves or their citizens the use of a
| particular brand of software."
`----

http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-electronics/20081222/DC5426922122008-1.html

Related:

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561