[News] Decentralised News Interview (Wikinews), Year Without DRM Launched

Wikinews interviews the Wikimania 2010 Poland bid promoter

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikimania is an annual conference for users, developers and other people
| involved in the wiki projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation. It is
| held yearly since 2005. The first conference was held in Frankfurt, Germany,
| on August 4-8, 2005. The second one was held in Boston, USA (on August 4-6,
| 2006), the third one was held in Taipei, Taiwan (on August 3-5, 2007), the
| fourth Wikimania was held in Alexandria, Egypt (on July 17-19, 2008) and
| Wikimania 2009 will be held in Buenos Aires.
`----

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews_interviews_the_Wikimania_2010_Poland_bid_promoter?curid=118696

http://www.yearwithoutdrm.com/

Recent:

DRM is always anti-user

,----[ Quote ]
| No user likes DRM. What Cory Doctorow said about Sony is really true for all
| DRM: “No Sony customer woke up one morning and said, “Damn, I wish Sony would
| devote some expensive engineering effort in order that I may do less with my
| music.”". Expanding the DRM acronym (to mean “digital restrictions
| management” or “digital rights management”) is a matter of what side you’re
| on. If you’re on the user’s side, the side that says you ought to be able to
| treat stuff you bought as your own, you’ll not forget that “digital rights
| management” is “private language” as well. It’s language that exists to
| promulgate the publisher’s perspective instead of the user’s perspective thus
| reframing the debate to getting us to believe that our needs are less
| important or completely ignorable. The thing that makes DRM interesting to
| publishers is how well it can restrict users from doing what users want to
| do. Hence digital restrictions management is a more honest way of looking at
| what DRM means.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2008/11/28/drm-is-always-anti-user/

Valve says DRM is stupid, but Microsoft still doesn't get it

,----[ Quote ]
| Valve is a wonderfully open company—in many cases, direct questions sent to
| the publisher will be answered by a member of the creative team within hours.
| One gamer recently e-mailed Valve and asked why he saw EA's logo on a
| commercial for Left 4 Dead: he bought the game via Steam but didn't want to
| support EA after the Spore DRM debacle. He got a reply from a managing
| director at the company, Gabe Newell, that was to the point: EA only handles
| distribution for the physical product, and Valve thinks most DRM is "just
| dumb."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081203-valve-calls-drm-stupid-microsoft-still-doesnt-get-it.html

Apple copies Microsoft tactics in Itunes row

,----[ Quote ]
| Sam Odio, operator of bluwiki, did what Jobs' Mob demanded only because he
| said he lacked the money to take on the fruit-themed toymaker.
|
| He told AP that, when a lawyer calls you up and implicitly threatens
| litigation that would bankrupt your little project, you obviously have no
| choice but to comply.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/12/05/apple-copies-microsoft-itunes

35 Days Against DRM — Anti-DRM actions

,----[ Quote ]
| We'd like to get a physical presence on your local main street and outside
| major DRM retailers -- activists from all over the world, coming together to
| inform citizens of the dangers of DRM. We will have leaflets and signs that
| you can print, use and distribute. Encourage your local free software user
| group, chapter of Students for Free Culture and other anti-DRM activists to
| join you. We will post your event on DefectiveByDesign and others can sign-up
| to join you.
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/days-protest

35 Days Against DRM -- Day 7: Prince: Friends without benefits.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/day07-prince