Gary M. Stewart (aka “Flatfish”) About Microsoft AstroTurfing: “It’s made me A LOT of money….”

  • Subject: Gary M. Stewart (aka “Flatfish”) About Microsoft AstroTurfing: “It’s made me A LOT of money….”
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 09:07:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[copied from my blog post]

“You’re right. Some of the evangelism practices that I taught
and executed at Microsoft in the 1990’s were unethical. I
didn’t think so at the time — I thought that they were just
hyper-competitive — but I agree now.”

        –James Plamondon, former Microsoft ’shills chief’

LAST WEEK we showed solid proof that Microsoft was paying
people for what’s known as “AstroTurfing”. It’s part of the
company’s strategy and policy — always has been. The men at
the very top — those who are responsible for this — are
Marshall Goldberg and James Plamondon.

Some people remember “Steve Barkto”, who was exposed by a
newspaper for being a Microsoft agent [1, 2, 3, 4]. Gary M.
Stewart may be another such agent, who has posted under
literally hundreds of names in mediums that include USENET,
Digg, Slashdot, even Netscape/Propeller, where he libeled,
embarrassed, threatened, gave fake testimonies, stole
identities and — above all — viciously attacked everything
and everyone that competes with Microsoft. This has gone on
for over a decade, and that’s just one person (there are
more).

Among the names that he posted under: Moshe Goldfarb, Sandeep
Kumar, Abbie Diaz, achmed.jones, Aftab Singh, Allen
Cusimano, Allie Perkins, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969,
Alicia Hunt, Ana Thema, andyschipowitz, Anna Banger,
anonymous, arkady.duntov, Archie, Archie Moss Bunker,
Archie Watermann, Attila, Baba Booey, Babcock Johnson,
babcock.latreen, Babu Singh, ball.cock.the.plumber,
banjo.boy69, Bill Thomson, Billy, bill.gates.loves.me,
BingoBongo, bison, Bjarne Jensen, bjornstad8800, BklynBoy,
bones4jones, bonobo magilla, Boyce Mabri, BSEE, Bunsen
Burner, Buster, c.baumstumpff, CBFalconer, Charles LeGrand,
Charlie, Choppers McGee, Chris Thomas, Christine Abernathy,
Claire Lynn, Clippy, Clock King, collie4roy, Collie
Entragion, Colon Singh, common cold, compton.plaines_kid,
Connie Hines, Corrie, corry.lebeu, Corrie Titlaand, Cory
Dyvik, Curtis Wilson, cymon.says, Damian O’Leary, Dana Bush,
Danny Kwong, dbx_boy, Deadpenguin, Debbie, detective48,
Devon Dawson, dismoqualifetch, Donn Carlsbad,
donna.bunting_tv, dont.pullout, doris.gets.her.oates, Doug
Richardson, Dragon.Boy, Dr.Long John Jones, dy.sector,
echo.valley_26809, Elliot Zimmermann, Elwin Winters,
Emmanuel Arias, Fawn Lebowitz, flatfish+++, foamy, frank
boson, Franz Klammer, Fred Simmons, gabriele howorth, Gary
Stewart, GayClod, George Cotton, George Littlefield,
Gilbert, Gilbert Goiter, Gilbert Hochaim, gilligan,Â
goldfarb44, gooseborg, Greg Finnigan, Greg Laplante, Hans
Kimm, Hans Tomlinson, Harry Hilton, Harvey Fogel, Heather,
Heather69, Heather Trax, Heddy Seafield, Heidi van Wong,
helmut.ginter, hepcat, high_pain_humper, Hugh Himless,
hymen.the.jew, llanalott, Ishmeal Hafizi, itchy balls, Ivan
Mctavish, IvanaB, Jason, jeff.smiley, Jeff Szarka,
jjwassermann, Joe Josephson, John, John King, John Shelton,
John Smith, johnnyscotrun, jolt.n.pizza, Jorge Jorgensen,
jorge_shillingford, Jose Lopez, juke_joint, kaptain kaput,
Karel Olish, karen.bullfinch, Karen Hill, Karla Snodgress,
kathy_krantz, Kaylie Solomon, Kendra, Kenneth Downs, Kenny
Dugan, Kent Dorfman, Ken Johnson, Kim Coinop, Kinglen Wang,
Kristen, kumba killington, Kurt Janker, Kyle Cadet, Â
lafferty6, L Didio, Laura Shillingford, Le Farter, Le Yammy,
Leaking Onion, Leo Diaz, Les Cramer, Les Turner, Les Walton,
Leslie Bassman, Lilly, Lindy, linux.curious, Linux Exposer,Â
linux.freak.detector, Lisa Shavas, Lisa Cottmann, Lois Hunt,
Long, long_tong_ling, Â luisortizhome, Lukumi Babalu Aye,
Luna Lane, Major Mynor, Manny, mark.kent.is.owned, Mario
Fermin, McSwain, mista twista,Mogumbo, Moses, Mooshoo Bong
Singh, mr.macfeelme, Â mycarisfast, narrows_whitefish,
nate_mcspook, Navid Shakibapour, oh.bama.da.rack,
okto_pussy, opensource.sucks, organ.creep, OSS KDE User,
Paddy McCrockett, Paul Wannamaker, Paris Marriot, Patricia,
Patrick Landrum, Patty LeGrange, patty pippins, Patty
Poppins, percy samson, Peter Gluckman, Peter Kohlmann,
peter.traphagen, Phil, Phillip Cornwall, phoung, phoung
quoak, pickle_pete, Piss Clam, Polly Ester, Poopy Pants
McGee, pus.boy99, pyles69, Quimby, Quinton Magee, Quizno
Backer, Ray Schitzmepantz, Reporter, Rich, Richard P.
Johnson, Richie, Richie O’Toole, Richie Spano,Â
right.wanger, Robert Strunk, rodolfo.garcia44,
rothstein_ivan, Roy_Pestowitz, Roy.Schakemetitz,
Roy.Schavedmenutz, Roy.Schavesmewankz, roy.shysterwitz,
Roy.Schitzowitz, roys.testicles, roy.the.spam.king, RP
Modell, ryebra, Sally Vadi, Sammy, Sammy Whalen, Saul
Goldblatt, schavemetitz, Schestertitz, schestowizzle,
schestowitz, schitzmepantz, schisterwitz, Schlomo Smykowski,
Sharon Cackle, Sharon Hubbasland, Sean, Sean Fitzhenry, Sean
Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown, Shelly K., Sherlock
Holmes, Schlomo Rabinowitz, Simon, Simon Lewis, simply.lisa,
Singer, sista sledgehammer, slacker.mcspritze, Spammy_Davis,
spanny_davis, Stefan Karstensen, Stephan Simonsen,
Stephanie, Stephanie Mannerz, Stephen, Stephen Olsen,
Stephen Townshend, stomach.pump, SuckyB, Sue, sue quinterra,
sully1999, SunnyB, Susan, Susan Bladder, Susan Lapinski,
Susan Wong, Suzi Wong, suzie.linux, Suzie Wong, Swampee,Â
swing.cock, sylvano12tegriorgriach, Ted Bennington, Terri
Sorensen, Terry Porter, The Beaver, Thorsten, Thorsten
Thigpen, Timmy Luncford , Toby Rastus Roosovelt III,
toe.mein, Tomas Bicsak, tomas.bozak, Tomas Dunton, Tomas
Lucatorto, Tori, Tori Wassermann, Torre Stanslaand, Trace
Dennison, Tracee, Traci, traci.alicock, traci.manicotti,
traci.pusey, Traci Spritzendrainer, trailerpark, Trina
Swallows, Trolly, Trudi Simpkins, Tryxie Lustern, Â
udayshankar29, Uday Shankar, victimizedb, victimizedbyms,
Vince Fontain, Vladimir Yepifano, Walter Bubniak, Wang
Mycock, Wasser, Waterskidoo, wendy, Wendy Duzz, Wendy
Toiletwater, Whizzer, Wilbur J, willy watkins jr, Willy
Wong, wiltons_pypes, Winnie Septos, wizard.shot, wm_walsh,
Wobbles, wylbur.horseman, Yanick Schmuley and zyklon_C.

That’s just a sample, a fraction of the names that he has
used (about 200, among many more). Gary was mass-mailing my
colleagues and bosses. He did the same to other people whom
he tried to get in trouble, or get fired. That’s because
they advocated GNU/Linux. Gary also posted inflammatory and
libelous stuff, sometimes ‘on behalf’ (forging) of posters
whom he was discrediting. The severity of this is very high.
The allegations, once tied to Microsoft, would have enormous
consequences because the number of victims of high and the
damages high too.

The identity of Gary was exposed several years ago back when
one of his victims, “mjcr”, found out his identity and
posted:

####################################
###### Begin Original Message ######
####################################

He mainly focuses on /comp.os.linux.advocacy/ but he
regularly (cross-)posts
to other groups, & to non-computer related groups.

Gary Stewart on c-24-60-155-178.hsd1.ma.comcast.net

This was investigated & tied this very same address to
the "linux-sux troll.
This address is a cable user in Mass.
Apparently Gary Stewart IS the linux-sux troll as well as
being the flatfish
troll.

He lives at one of these addresses:

93 Thayer St, Millville, MA

30 Chickatawbut St, Dorchester, MA

229 N Brookfield Rd, Barre, MA

[...]

###############################
###### End Original Message ###
###############################

That was years ago, so it’s possible that the address/es have
changed. As for the name, this was confirmed last year,
again. He accidentally had his Windows username, “Garys” (as
in C:\Documents and Settings\Garys), displayed to the
public. It’s a case of sloppiness. He posted under the
name “Polly Ester” (like polyester) in MSG-ID
46fd58dd$0$26405$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

###### Begin Original Message ######