[News] Kernel Development (Linux) Debated and Wind River Contributes

Communicating requirements to kernel developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2009 kernel summit is planned for October in Tokyo. Over the years, your
| editor has observed that the discussion on what to discuss at the summit can
| sometimes be as interesting as the summit itself. Recently, the question of
| how user-space programmers can communicate requirements to the kernel
| community was raised. The ensuing discussion was short on definitive answers,
| but it did begin to clarify a problem in an interesting way.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/341110/

Intel's Wind River Claims Lead in Embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel's Wind River subsidiary is now the leader in embedded Linux, at least
| when it comes to revenues, according to the market analysis by VDC Research.
|
| Wind River, which was acquired in June by Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) for $884
| million, has more than 30 percent of the total market revenue for embedded
| Linux, VDC found.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3831496

Recent:

Intel buys Wind River: the End of the Wintel Duopoly?

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, Intel has to tread carefully here, since it can't trumpet that
| Linux side too much, but the reality is rather stronger than those neutral
| statements would suggest.
|
| When I interviewed Wind River's Chief Marketing Officer last year, here's
| what he said when I explored the Linux angle...
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2246&blogid=14

Wind River Linux platform adds multicore support

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on Linux kernel 2.6.27 and GCC 4.3, Wind River Linux 3.0 comes with
| packages for multimedia, graphics and HMI (human-machine interface)
| technologies, such as X.org, GTK+, GNOME or GStreamer.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2009/03/17/45684/wind-river-linux-platform-adds-multicore-support.htm

Embedded Linux distro rolls in verticals

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River is shipping version 3.0 of its commercial embedded Linux
| distribution, which now integrates vertical distributions, including
| networking. Wind River Linux 3.0 upgrades to kernel 2.6.27 and GCC 4.3,
| speeds boot-time, adds 250 applications, upgrades real-time and multi-core
| support, and launches a Kernel-based Virtualization Machine (KVM), says the
| company.

Wind River reports strong year, lowers guidance

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River's 4Q Linux bookings, meanwhile, grew 48 percent year over year,
| says the company.

Intel and Wind River buddy up on multicore

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2492664316.html?kc=rss

Wind River reports strong year

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River released another solid earnings report in the third quarter,
| reporting a 12 percent increase in revenues to $91.6 million, and a nine
| percent increase in deferred revenues to $125.8 million year-over-year. Linux
| revenues totaled $13.3 million, an increase of 71 percent over last year,
| says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8805237655.html?kc=rss

Linux phone pioneer acquired

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has completed its $16M acquisition of Linux smartphone pioneer
| Mizi Research, it announced. The Seoul, Korea based acquisition will broaden
| its mobile Linux services delivery capability in Asia Pacific, while
| deepening the value of its vertical market offerings, it hopes.

Chalk Another One Up for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As ongoing challenges in the economy continue to pressure companies to
| control operating costs, is it any surprise that IT managers are continuing
| to deploy economical IT solutions like Linux in their data centers? In June,
| open-source leader Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) reported bang-up results for its
| second fiscal quarter, and yesterday, Wind River (Nasdaq: WIND) also reported
| a strong Q2, attributable in part to demand for its Linux solutions.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2008/09/02/chalk-another-one-up-for-linux.aspx

Wind River makes deal to boost mobile Linux business

,----[ Quote ]
| Software optimization technology provider Wind River Systems Inc. [WIND] has
| agreed to buy MIZI Research Inc., a nine-year-old private company based in
| Seoul, Korea, that develops mobile application platforms based on embedded
| Linux.
`----

http://www.thedeal.com/techconfidential/money-out/blog/hardware/wind-river-makes-deal-to-bolst.php

Linux leads Wind River revenues upwards

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River Systems yesterday reported strong second quarter results, raising
| earnings guidance for fiscal 2009 to between $365M and $375M, or 17 to 19
| cents per share. Leading the growth were Linux-related revenues, up 60
| percent year-over-year, to $10,111,000, or 11 percent of the company's total
| revenues for the quarter.

Big Deals for Wind River Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River Systems exhibited particular strength in its Linux business, with
| Linux bookings and revenue up 115% and 60%, respectively, from the prior
| year. In addition, the company announced it will acquire Korea-based MIZI, a
| developer of mobile software for embedded Linux. The combination will
| leverage MIZI's expertise in telephony, user-interface design, and multimedia
| to further strengthen Wind River's mobile Linux strategy.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2008/08/29/big-deals-for-wind-river-systems.aspx

Wind River to buy mobile Linux software company MIZI for up to $16M

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has signed an agreement to acquire the South Korean software
| company MIZI Research Inc. for up to $16 million in cash, Wind River said
| Thursday.
|
| MIZI Research develops mobile application platforms based on the Linux
| operating system. Founded in 1999, the company has headquarters in Seoul and
| 65 employees.
`----

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/othercities/eastbay/stories/2008/08/25/daily51.html

Wind River buys Mizi Research

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River announced it will acquire a Korean developer of Linux mobile GUI
| stacks. The $16 million acquisition of privately-held Mizi Research will
| bring Wind River "world-class mobile expertise" and will "accelerate its
| mobile services presence in Asia Pacific," says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4529876314.html?kc=rss

VxWorks, Wind River Linux To Support Intel EP80579

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel's new EP80579 Integrated Processor product line is compatible with
| VxWorks 6.6 operating system and Wind River Linux 2.0.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/28127/news.htm

Datalight Flash File System Boosts Performance for Users of Wind River Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Datalight announced today that it has released new versions of Reliance and
| FlashFX Pro with preconfigured support for Wind River Linux.
`----

http://pr-canada.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40341&Itemid=65

Wind River spins MID Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River is readying a vertical-market Linux distribution specifically for
| MIDs (mobile Internet devices). Wind River Linux Platform for Mobile Internet
| Devices is the company's second "Platform" product to target Intel's Atom
| processor, and its second developed in collaboration with Intel, it says.

Test automation suite targets embedded Linux developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has announced a test automation framework aimed at streamlining
| the software quality assurance process for embedded Linux developers. Wind
| River Test Management (WRTM) enables development teams to plan and execute
| tests, perform fact-based analysis, and rapidly resolve testing issues, says
| the company.

Wind River readies virtualization stack

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River will enter the virtualization software market, focusing on
| networking, consumer electronics, and industrial automation, it said. The
| company will in August begin beta-testing a hypervisor and tools aimed at
| letting customers flexibly deploy Linux, VxWorks, and other RTOSes
| symmetrically or asymmetrically on one or multiple physical processor cores.

Wind River, Intel ride Linux into car market

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel and Wind River Systems have teamed up to create a Linux/x86 platform
| for car electronics, which will debut at the Telematics Detroit 2008
| conference today (May 20). The offering is based on Intel's low-power Atom
| processor and a new variant of Wind River's embedded Linux.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207801122

Linux Soon to be in your Car

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to a new joint effort between Intel and Wind River, you may soon be
| running Linux in your car.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/05/linux-soon-to-be-in-your-car.html

Intel and Wind River driving Linux infotainment systems to cars

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/135687