[News] [Rival] ASUS AstroTurf Bbogging (Using Competition) Similar to Microosft's

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] ASUS AstroTurf Bbogging (Using Competition) Similar to Microosft's
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:29:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Asus defends blogging competition

,----[ Quote ]
| The INQ reported that Asus had chosen six reviewers, laden them with its
| kit - laptops and netbooks - and dropped them into the bog(osphere). The idea
| was that readers would be able to vote for the bogger they liked best. The
| winner would receive an Eee PC 900.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1469209/asus-defends-blogging-competition

Microsoft does similar things. They also pollute social networks in this way.

Recent:

Bloggers outraged at Asus

,----[ Quote ]
| A while back, Asus decided it would save itself ooodles of cash on marketing
| and advertising by picking six people from the ranks of the unwashed masses
| and asking them to 'blog' about certain products they'd been given for
| review. Readers, said Asus, would be able to vote for their favorite blogger
| and the winner of the popular vote would be able to keep their Asus review
| kit. But alas, it wasn't to be.
|
| Readers, in their naive ignorance, voted for a particularly honest - read,
| not entirely Asus kissing - blogger by the name of Gavyn Britton, a choice
| Asus wasn't so keen on. So the Taiwanese computer maker decided to change the
| rules of the competition.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1433394/bloggers-outraged-asus

PR disaster alert: Asus attacks on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As the articles here and here as well as the discussion here point out,
| leaving Linux is not only a bad move from a technical point of view but the
| way it was done also angered and insulted members of the Linux community,
| many of which are your customers. Guess what? They are not you consumers
| anymore. Worse, these are usually people responsible for purchasing the
| computing equipment for their families or their companies, so the loss goes
| much deeper than just a few Linux users. Let's look at a few chosen comments
| from the articles above....
`----

http://www.tech-no-media.com/2009/06/why-asus-linux-insult-is-pr-disaster.html

Asus Eee and the 'It's Better with Windows' Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| However, despite the first flurry of rumors that the campaign was a hoax,
| Asus has admitted that the campaign is legitimate. In a way, the news is a
| relief. For those of us who have looked askance at Microsoft's sponsoring of
| open source conferences and efforts to create its own open source ecosystem,
| the It's Better with Windows site is a return to the familiar. At least when
| Microsoft is spinning half-truths about free and open source software (FOSS),
| you can be in no doubt where everybody stands.
|
| The site is very much a classic piece of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt),
| the likes of which we may never see again as Microsoft becomes more subtle in
| its struggle to survive in a market where FOSS is a player.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3822996

Is Microsoft ‘Buying-Off’ Linux Netbook Vendors? [Updated]

,----[ Quote ]
| This whole thing reminds me of the stupid and cringe-worthy adverts you see
| in the press where Vendor X says that they “Recommend Proprietary OS Home
| Premium”. Do they hell. Do you think they really believe that? Or do you
| think they have been given incentives to say so? I often wonder if there
| could be a case here with the Trades Description Act (if that still exists).
| IANAL so don’t really know but it seems as though many vendors’ adverts are
| not being totally honest when they make these recommendations. It’s bloody
| obvious they are being paid in some form or another to say that.
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/06/02/is-microsoft-buying-off-linux-netbook-vendors/

Related:

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/more_evidence_microsoft_tying_up_the_asus_eeepc

EXCLUSIVE: ASUS Speaks on the EEE PC

,----[ Quote ]