[News] Associated Bullies (AP) Accused of 'Stealing' Stories and Photos/Faces

By The AP's Own Logic, The AP Ripped Off Obama

,----[ Quote ]
| I must admit that I tend to disagree with a significant percentage of
| Lichtman's conclusions on intellectual property, but unlike many copyright
| maximalists, I tend to believe he's much more intellectually honest on these
| issues. His positions don't seem to come from a "more is absolutely better
| because it makes me/my clients more money" position, but he honestly tends to
| believe that greater copyright leads to a greater net outcome, and tends to
| argue reasonably about it -- though, I believe some of that reasoning, and
| the assumptions that underpin it are faulty.
|
| [...]
|
| No, what's not fair is claiming that any of that is the AP's to own. None of
| it. Not a single part of it was. All of that -- the hope, the way he was
| looking, was simply there. What made him choose it was the look on Obama's
| face -- which is not Garcia's creative output, and thus cannot be covered by
| copyright. In fact, the most frustrating thing of all is that Cendali
| repeatedly claims that Fairey was ripping off Garcia (and the AP), but misses
| the obvious problem with that argument: which is that if her argument is
| correct, then the AP and Garcia also ripped off Obama, since it was his
| creativity in looking the way he did and making the facial expression he did.
| Once again, such externalities are apparently only acceptable when the AP
| benefits. But, Cendali seems to ignore that, and Lichtman lets her get off,
| noting that he basically agrees with her.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090721/1828265616.shtml

Is The BBC An AP Parasite?

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, not long after that, I saw that the BBC appears to have a very
| similar article, and it's quite clear that all they did was rewrite the AP's
| article. At one point, they do credit the AP, but the article is almost a
| direct paraphrase of the AP's. So does the AP start calling the BBC a
| parasite, too? Or does it finally realize that no one owns the news, and lots
| of publications often rewrite the news and have for ages?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090722/0126305618.shtml

Industry study claims strong copyrights fuel economic engine

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/industry-study-claims-strong-copyrights-fuel-economic-engine.ars