[News] 7 Tips for Firefox, Free Software Among Top Ways to Save Money

Seven Tools for Making Firefox Jump Through Hoops

,----[ Quote ]
| Clear the decks, I’m now an avid Firefox user. It took me a long time to give
| up my treasured Maxthon, an Internet Explorer shell that I truly loved. When
| Maxthon was first released, it had features years before they were added to
| IE8–tabs, multi-threading, groups, add-ons — things the kids at Microsoft
| should have copied eons ago, but didn’t.
`----

http://technologizer.com/2009/07/21/firefox-tools/

Five Ways to Save Money on IT Software

,----[ Quote ]
| 3. Open Source Operating Systems
|
| Open source operating systems are easy to sell, however.
|
| Linux ubiquity is here, and even if you pay for support contracts, the total
| cost of ownership is significantly lower compared to Windows servers. The
| stability is proven, as is the interoperability. Phasing out Windows servers
| by migrating services to Linux is a quick way to save large amounts of money.
|
| Another common objection to adoption of Linux is staff skill levels.
| Controversial as it may be, you have to phase out systems administrators that
| only know Windows. For example, take your average Linux jockey, who has been
| exposed to the nuts and bolts and knows how the important protocols work,
| rather than just how one vendor's GUI works, and thrust new tasks at her. She
| will quickly master anything and that is the type of sysadmin you want. This
| rarely works the other way around, yet the Windows-only administrator
| generally make the same salaries. The sound business decision is fairly
| straightforward.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/_featured/article.php/3830831/Five-Ways-to-Save-Money-on-IT-Software.htm

Recent:

5 Awesome Mozilla Labs Projects for Firefox 3.5

,----[ Quote ]
| Throughout the five years, Mozilla has dramatically improved the Internet
| browsing experience by producing stable, open-source applications that bring
| simplicity to our virtual lives. The latest version of Firefox is a prime
| example of how Mozilla integrates practical features into its products, like
| the inclusion of private browsing, tear away tabs and location awareness,
| while still maintaining a strong user base and delivering a stable browser.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/5_awesome_mozilla_labs_projects_firefox_35

Mozilla: Making it Easier, Doing it Right

,----[ Quote ]
| Intriguing stuff, and it's great to see Mozilla working on these areas. As
| Raskin noted, almost uniquely his team is under no pressure to deliver
| something soon, unlike most startups; instead he and they can concentrate on
| getting it right, even if takes longer.
|
| Against a background where the recent experience of the Twitter team has
| shown that the browser-based, cloud computing model has not just weaknesses,
| but a domino-like interlinked set of weaknesses that can lead to catastrophic
| security failures, it's comforting to hear that someone is trying to do
| things properly.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2368&blogid=14

Firefox 3.5 vs. Chromium on Ubuntu 9.04

,----[ Quote ]
| With the recent release of Firefox 3.5 the TraceMonkey JavaScript engine is
| really available for the ‘normal’ user (ie. not the alpha/beta users). It
| gives you a major speed increase in JavaScript intensive webapps. But how
| does it compare to Google’s Chromium?
`----

http://martinnotes.com/2009/07/11/firefox-35-vs-chromium-on-ubuntu-904/

Firefox 3.5 makes browsing a delight ... and much faster

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/news.asp?id=53831