[News] Free Software in Healthcare: Latest Success Stories

Open source to power Connecticut HIE

,----[ Quote ]
| Hartford Healthcare, which provides rehabilitation, long term care, and
| hospice facilities in central Connecticut, said today it will combine Misys’
| open source connectivity technology with Allscripts EHR systems, a health
| record built on software as a service, to create Transforming Healthcare In
| Connecticut Communities (THICC), a regional system linking hospitals, clinics
| and facilities statewide.
`----

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=2463

Carpenter Builds Open Source Imaging Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Anne Carpenter trained as a traditional cell biologist specializing in
| microscopy with no intention of writing image analysis software. “It wasn’t
| until I needed software to do something that existing commercial software
| couldn’t do that I became interested in writing software myself,” says
| Carpenter. The genesis of CellProfiler was “completely out of necessity.”
|
| [...]
|
| The software Carpenter built—CellProfiler—made its free open source debut in
| December 2005, and was detailed in Genome Biology in 2006. In January 2007,
| Jones and Carpenter established the Imaging Platform group at the Broad
| Institute, focusing on new algorithms and data analysis methods. From here,
| Carpenter can help dozens of researchers working on clinically relevant
| projects. “Everything we develop becomes open source, and the easiest way to
| get that out to the public is to put it into the CellProfiler interface.”
`----

http://www.bio-itworld.com/news/2009/07/21/BP-Carpenter.html

Open Source Meets Health Care

,----[ Quote ]
| Changing from paper charts to electronic medical records sounds like a
| relatively easy sales pitch. It improves patient care, decreases the risk of
| error and adds enormous efficiency into the system.
|
| [...]
|
| We're using Hewlett-Packard servers, Red Hat Linux, the InterSystems Cache
| database management system, which is the only proprietary component in the
| stack. On top of that runs OpenVista.
`----

http://news.alibaba.com/article/detail/technology/100139677-1-open-source-meets-health-care.html

Recent:

Will New Certification Criteria Fuel Open Source E-Health Records?

,----[ Quote ]
| But moving forward, new certification "paths" recently announced by CCHIT
| will be a boost for modular software packages, especially those from smaller
| software vendors and open source developers, as well as their potential
| customers, including doctor practices that don't need fancier software tools,
| as well as health care organizations that have a hybrid mix of health IT
| systems featuring legacy and best-of-breed applications.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/06/will_new_certif.html;jsessionid=PJI4UKSFCJEJIQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN

Healthcare Conference to Focus on Open Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/healthcare-conference-to-focus-on-open-source-solutions