[News] Free Software Coalition Formed in the United States

Red Hat, Oracle, Sun, others join to pitch open source to feds

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 50 companies, academic institutions, and other organizations,
| including vendors such as Red Hat and Oracle, are banding together to promote
| use of open source by the federal government via an organization called Open
| Source for America.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/072209-red-hat-oracle-sun-others.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Linux Paves Way for New “Open Source in America” Coalition

,----[ Quote ]
| Some may see this as a victory, but I see it as not good enough. The members
| of the organization announced today, Open Source for America, agree. We see
| it as an opportunity to educate government on open source software while
| effecting change in policy and coordinating collaboration on requirements
| specific to government.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2009/07/22/linux-paves-way-for-new-%E2%80%9Copen-source-in-america%E2%80%9D-coalition/

A New Voice for Open Source in Government

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm pleased to report this morning on the formation of a new advocacy group
| for the use of free and open source software in the U.S. Government.  I'm
| also pleased to have been asked to serve on its Board of Advisors, along
| other proponents of free and open source software, such as Roger Burkhard,
| Dawn Meyerriecks, Eben Moglen, Tim O'Reilly, Simon Phipps, Mark Shuttleworth,
| Michael Tiemann, Bill Vass, and Jim Zemlin.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20090722034007727

Open Source For America coalition formed

http://www.h-online.com/open/Open-Source-For-America-coalition-formed--/news/113815

Red Hat, NCSU join movement to get feds to embrace Open Source

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2009/07/20/daily38.html

Open Source Leaders Team Up to Seek More Clout in Government

http://www.internetnews.com/government/article.php/3831161

Group will push open source in US gov't

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software needs a higher profile in Washington, D.C., according to
| a group of about 50 organizations and companies that launched a new campaign
| to educate U.S. government agencies about the benefits of open source.
|
| Members of the Open Source For America coalition, which launched Wednesday,
| include Google, The Linux Foundation, the Mozilla and Debian projects,
| Oracle, Sun Microsystems, Advanced Micro Devices and the Electronic Frontier
| Foundation.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/072209-group-will-push-open-source.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Recent:

Asian Open Source Software Center formed by 10 countries

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/textiles-technology-news/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=74111