[News] A Look at Ubuntu Derivative WattOS (GNU/Linux) and Debian Derivative Sidux 2009-02

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Ubuntu Derivative WattOS (GNU/Linux) and Debian Derivative Sidux 2009-02
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 01:36:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

WattOS – A Fast Energy-Saving Linux Based on Ubuntu – Review & Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| WattOS Beta 3 is a lightweight Linux Distro geared towards running on less
| energy and for recycled or low power computers without compromising on
| features or performance that you’d expect from a full power system.
|
| Their motto “Light, Fast, Now” seeks to provide a low-energy full featured
| Linux distro.
`----

http://techexposures.com/2009/07/wattos-a-fast-energy-saving-linux-based-on-ubuntu-review-screenshots/

Sidux 2009-02 (KDE)

,----[ Quote ]
| The excellent distribution suggestions keep coming from Brian Masinick and
| here’s yet another one, Sidux 2009-2. Sidux is based on Debian and you can
| download a version that uses the XFCE or KDE desktop environments. You can
| also opt to download the lite version that weighs in at about 600MB or the
| full version that weighs in at around 2.1GB. Being the greedy app pig that I
| am, I opted to download the full KDE version.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/16/sidux-2009-02-kde/

Recent:

Ubuntu-based distro touted for power management

,----[ Quote ]
| A group called PlanetWatt has released a Beta 3 version of a new lightweight,
| power-sipping distro based on Ubuntu. The low-power WattOS is built from
| scratch using the Ubuntu MinimalCD and Ubuntu 9.04, and uses the lightweight
| LXDE environment and OpenBox, says the group.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3390383145.html?kc=rss

Related:

WattOS: Lightweight Linux Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are big fan of Linux then you would definitely want out to try this
| new Ubuntu-based Linux flavor known as WattOS.
|
| WattOS is a remaster of Ubuntu Linux in a lightweight fashion that runs
| quickly with low system requirements. The operating system will run on low
| power computers and recycled systems keeping you working and playing with all
| the features you expect.
`----

http://www.sizlopedia.com/2008/07/09/wattos-lightweight-linux-operating-system/

Introducing wattOS - A Lightweight Ubuntu!

,----[ Quote ]
| wattOS... the last frontier, the lightweight Ubuntu-based operating system is
| now here! Faster than anything else out there, wattOS is not just another
| Ubuntu clone, it is powered by the Openbox window manager, a standards
| compliant, fast, lightweight and extensible window manager.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Introducing-wattOS-A-Lightweight-Ubuntu-89456.shtml

WattOS Mini-Review

,----[ Quote ]