> ZnU wrote:
>
> > In article <1595488.dkoyRHWE26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> ____/ Goblin on Tuesday 21 July 2009 09:44 : \____

> >> All of this distracts from the real search news: Wolfram|Alpha.
> >>
> >> Give it a go...
> >
> > Computers aren't really smart enough to do what Alpha is trying to do
> > yet. Here's a rather interesting article along those lines:
>
> That's not how I would have phrased it. (It sounds like you're blaming the
> hardware.)
>
> I would have said that humans aren't smart enough to write algorithms to do
> what Alpha is trying to do. Or perhaps our "tools" (computer languages)
> aren't smart enough to allow for algorithms of this sort to be written.
>
> It's not clear how much processing power an advanced algorithm like this
> would require but I don't believe that we can currently do a very good job
> no matter how much hardware we throw at the problem.

Consistently providing meaningful responses to free-form natural
language queries is probably an AI-complete problem. That is, it
requires human-level artificial intelligence.e

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it