Re: IT Pro's speak on Linux (market research report) & Linux on the shelves again!

Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

> Well, the $15 mags are great for getting a distro on a DVD.  Not
> everyone can afford broadband.

You can get physical media delivered straight to your door, absolutely free:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

And for other distros (UK sites), try:

http://www.linuxiso.co.uk
http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
http://www.cheeplinux.com

In the above three, the cost of a distro is about the same as a typical
magazine, but then you'll only need to buy a distro once or twice a year
at most, and you won't have to endure 100 pages of adverts.

> You may be thanking those magazines once the corpatalists succeed in
> metering all your downloads to supplement your monthly bill :-) )-:

They'd need to identify what I'm downloading first, and that's highly
unlikely given that I use a VPN privacy service. And even if, by some
magic, they did manage to deduce the contents of my downloads ... how
would they justify stealing money from me as payment for the privilege
of downloading Fedora ISOs, RPM packages, E-mails and Usenet articles,
since that's pretty much all I ever download?

Then again, didn't that sinister "Digital Britain" report suggest
introducing an "Internet Tax" (in reality, an "IP" tax), that enforces a
blanket-charge on /everyone/, based on the assumption that every
Internet subscriber must be a criminal?

So yeah, you may be right.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 18:20:01 up 53 days, 22:18,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00