[News] Freedom Software Comes to Genomics

The Freedom to Cure Cancer: Open Source Software in Genomics

,----[ Quote ]
| The Genome Center at Washington University in St. Louis has been at the
| forefront of genomics since its formation in 1990. Helping to lead the
| sequencing and analysis of the first multi-cellular organism, C. elegans, and
| the Human Genome Project, The Genome Center has long leveraged
| free/libre/open source software (FLOSS). One hallmark of these sequencing
| efforts has been the rapid dissemination of sequence data for all to download
| and use.
`----

http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/schedule/detail/7985

Related:

The Human Genome Goes Wiki

,----[ Quote ]
| A group of scientists aims to post thousands of entries on Wikipedia that
| describe the workings of individual human genes. The team realizes the
| potential for mischief -- anyone can change a Wikipedia article, regardless
| of their expertise or intent -- but were convinced by the popularity of the
| online encyclopedia and its volunteer overseers' general quickness.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/The-Human-Genome-Goes-Wiki-63745.html

'Genome Project' Led by Open Source HPC

,----[ Quote ]
| The BLAST tool module is highly compatible to run on Linux
| platform with advantage of considerably faster result compared
| to running on other platform.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39153485,00.htm

Human Genome Pioneer and Open-Source Junkie Enters Genomic X-Prize

,----[ Quote ]
| Church Harvard geneticist and Human Genome Project leader George Church has
| entered a team in the Archon X PRIZE for Genomics contest. He's an early
| favorite in the $10 million contest, and -- good news for the rest of us --
| he's an open-source software fan.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/12/human-genome-pi.html

Helicos Launches Open Access Web Site With Microbial Genome Data

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to Helicos data sets, the new Web site is also a gateway to
| Helicos' open source project, which includes downloadable source code and
| software documentation and is hosted on the Web site http://sourceforge.net/.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Helicos-Launches-Open-Access-Web/story.aspx?guid=%7B96281BF7-6201-42B8-8462-2B54EA0C5356%7D

Born a Creationist, Merck’s Schadt Leads Open Source Effort to Unravel Genome

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2009/03/13/born-a-creationist-mercks-schadt-leads-open-source-effort-to-unravel-genome/