Re: Update for Roy, since he never corrects errors in his stories

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:44:02 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch
<erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:55:11 +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
>
>> Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>>
>>> I seem to recall the case where a small number of Harry Potter books went
>>> on sale before they were supposed to, and there was some significant legal
>>> manuevering over it.  I don't recall all the details, though..
>>
>> Well then, why don't you shut the fuck up then?
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8560858/
>
> Well, this was from a few years ago, not the incident i was thinking of,
> but in this case, the Judge even forbade them from reading the book, which
> is effectively the same thing as locking a download via DRM.  Sure you can
> violate the legal order, but you can also crack the DRM.. so it works both
> ways.

Always, and I do mean _always_, click the link.

This is about Harry Potter books getting sold early.  One person in the
US was sold a book by mistake and voluntarily returned it when asked by
the drug store that sold it.  Presumably he didn't want the drug store
to get in trouble.

Fourteen other books were sold in Canada and a judge there ordered that
they not disclose or read the books until the release date.  Even in
Canada that seems pretty hard to enforce.

It is not clear from the article what the circumstances were, but it
does not say that the publisher sued the 14.  Note also that the judge
did _not_ order the books returned or refunds made.  The books were also
not illegal copies, they were merely sold before the publisher wanted
them to be sold.

So, it is almost sorta like what Erik postulated, except that it is
completely different.

--
 -| Bob Hauck (Brother Nail Gun of The Short Path)
 -| http://www.haucks.org/