[News] [Rival] New FCC Managing Director Comes from Convicted Monopoly, Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] New FCC Managing Director Comes from Convicted Monopoly, Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:04:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ex-Microsoft Exec Named FCC Managing Director

,----[ Quote ]
| Former high-ranking Microsoft executive Steven VanRoekel has been named
| managing director of the Federal Communications Commission
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/workforce/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218500431

Genachowski Names Former Microsoft Exec Managing Director of FCC
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/315024-Genachowski_Names_Former_Microsoft_Exec_Managing_Director_of_FCC.php

Genachowski Names VanRoekel, Schlick to Sr. Staff
http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b11732

Ex-Microsoft manager's Web startup, Sampa, shutting down

,----[ Quote ]
| A year after receiving $1 million from angel investors, Redmond Web startup
| Sampa is shutting itself down.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2009490067_ex-microsoft_managers_web_star.html

Recent:

Broadband stimulus and the FCC's Internet policy statement

,----[ Quote ]
| This week's hoopla over at the Federal Communications Commission focused on
| the launching of a Notice of Inquiry that is seeking comment on a National
| Broadband Plan, which the agency must produce for Congress by February of
| 2010. "If we do our job well," interim FCC Chair Michael Copps told an Open
| Commission meeting audience on Wednesday, "this will be the most formative—
| indeed transformative—proceeding ever in the Commission’s history."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/04/broadband-stimulus-and-the-fccs-internet-policy-statement.ars

Reboot the FCC

,----[ Quote ]
| The solution here is not tinkering. You can't fix DNA. You have to bury it.
| President Obama should get Congress to shut down the FCC and similar
| vestigial regulators, which put stability and special interests above the
| public good. In their place, Congress should create something we could call
| the Innovation Environment Protection Agency (iEPA), charged with a simple
| founding mission: "minimal intervention to maximize innovation." The iEPA's
| core purpose would be to protect innovation from its two historical enemies—
| excessive government favors, and excessive private monopoly power.
`----

http://www.newsweek.com/id/176809

My comment to the FCC on DRM

,----[ Quote ]