[News] Priceless: USPTO Head Calls Patents a "20-year Monopoly" (So It's Officially a Monopoly)

  • Subject: [News] Priceless: USPTO Head Calls Patents a "20-year Monopoly" (So It's Officially a Monopoly)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:27:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The patent office in crisis: 'When the going gets tough, the tough get going'

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Kappos announced his opposition to business method patents last year by
| stating that "[y]ou're creating a new 20-year monopoly for no good reason."
| Thus, it is unclear where Mr. Kappos will attempt to draw the line between
| software and business method inventions worthy of patent protection.
`----

http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/opinion/story/5576467/

Car insurance patents threaten consumer choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Under a major decision handed down last fall, the United States Court of
| Appeals for the Federal Circuit interpreted federal law to make it much more
| difficult to patent "business methods."
|
| The so-called "Bilski" decision essentially ended a decade of looser
| standards the same court introduced in 1998 with a decision known as State
| Street. That ruling opened the floodgates for business-method patents like
| Amazon’s one-click process to buy goods online.
`----

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/patents.html

CT firm seeks to market safe-driving product

,----[ Quote ]
| A Stamford patent agent and a Massachusetts actuary have paired to seek a
| patent on an insurance product aimed at promoting safety among teen
| motorists.
|
| Mark Nowotarski, president of Markets, Patents & Alliances LLC, said today
| the U.S. Patent Office could rule by late June on their patent application
| (No. 20090063201) filed last October for the SoberTeen Driving Insurance
| product.
`----

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news8988.html

It's a patent troll: