Re: [News] Mono -- Like Microsoft -- Resorts to Gagging Critics

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Why don?t you just shut up?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A lot of times, mono critics are told we should just ?shut up?.
> | Everything that needs to be said has been said, no one is going to
> | change their mind, and there is no point in going on about things.
> |
> | Let me tell you why I reject that.

For starters, Micoshaft can GPL its version of mono i.e. .nit
The arguments will then be over.

Otherwise micoshaft marketing plops will seek to take
advantage with blessing from fraudsters in higher management.

> [...]
> Languages
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | [phred14] [Who is asking for Mono?]
> | Simple answer - nobody. Mono is being pushed into Linux, not pulled. So
> | far the one application that's dragging it into "default" isn't even
> | very important, and Mono/C# isn't even critical. A Mono-free C#-free
> | clone of that application was built in practically no time.
> |
> | Simply put, Mono gives Microsoft control over a Linux desktop API, even
> | without patent threats. The ECMA standard is irrelevant, if only because
> | it's incomplete, and *always* needs extensions. In order to field a
> | functional, complete Mono, you need to start cloning Microsoft stuff.
> | You may as well base the Linux UI on WINE."
> |
> | [GreyGeek] [Re: Re: Re: Mono a solution looking for a problem?]
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The lack of MONO apps IS glaring, isn't it!
> |
> | What's even MORE glaring is that De Icaza has been working on MONO since
> | December of 2000, when he changed the name of his company, Helix Code,
> | to Ximian in order to focus on developing MONO. Yet, NINE years later
> | there is only a handful of MONO apps. IF MONO is the such a marvelous
> | RAD tool, why has it taken so long to produce so few applications?
> |
> | Also, if .NET is such a marvelous CROSS PLATFORM tool where code written
> | on one platform can be recompiled with few or no changes on another
> | platform, WHY isn't Linux being FLOODED with .NET applications?
> |
> | The answer is simple. MONO is a patent trap and most Penguins realize
> | it. So, just like it did with the ISO committees, Microsoft is flooding
> | the Linux development groups with .NET moles and the Linux forums with
> | astroturfers and TEs.
> `----
>
> http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/07/linux-today-rea.html
>
> "We could refresh the look and feel of the entire desktop with Moonlight"
>
>                                 --Miguel de Icaza
>

> Recent:
>
> Banshee and F-Spot to depend on Moonlight
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Planet Debian points to the news that Banshee and F-Spot is going to
> | depend on Moonlight in the future. Moonlight is forbidden from Fedora.
> | If this happens, Banshee and F-Spot have to be dropped from Fedora.
> `----
>
> http://mether.wordpress.com/2009/07/17
banshee-and-f-spot-to-depend-on-moonlight/

> On Patents, Promises and 'Ugly' Patches
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "If you honestly think this will lead to cross-platform development,
> | then you need your head checked," wrote Josh in the comments on
> | TuxRadar, for example. "Since when has Microsoft had any sincere
> | interest in cross-platform anything?
> |
> | "It looks to me like a classic Trojan horse," Josh concluded, "and
> | Miguel de Icaza is a tool."
> |
> | Similarly: "This Mono thing looks a bit like a Trojan horse," agreed kt
> | on LXer, where the topic was covered in not just one but two separate

On-Patents-Promises-and-Ugly-Patches-67607.html?wlc=1247803503

> [...]
> | disliked, to vilify a project solely because it emulated something
> | created at Microsoft. While Open Source backers generally dislike
> | Microsoft technology, with Mono they had another argument that being a
> | clone it could be affected by a number of patents that Microsoft holds
> | related to the .Net framework. This point often comes up in debates
> | about the ?safety? of the Mono project, the defense of Mono being that
> | large parts of the .Net specification are an open, published ECMA
> | standard. I sided with the Mono supporters then, downplaying the risk of
> | patents from Microsoft. But then in November, Microsoft and Novell
> | announced their Patent Agreement, which guarantees patent protection
> | exclusively for users of Novell Linux. The Mono project is largely
> | supported by Novell, and such an agreement is disastrous for a community
> | project like Mono. At this point, the fence-sitters in the Open Source
> | community largely crossed over to the anti-Mono camp. Perhaps, they were
> | justified in doing so. I could no longer defend Mono, and my belief in
> | the framework getting wider acceptance has diminished significantly
> | since then.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | It is entirely possible that Mono can suddenly gain acceptance if
> | Microsoft decides to relinquish patent claims regarding the .Net
> | framework. If it happens, .Net and Mono could well become an powerful
> | challenger to the dominance of Java. This is very unlikely, Microsoft?s
> | current strategy seems to be relying strongly on patents and IP to ward
> | off the looming threat from Linux.
> |
> | For now, we decided to look beyond Mono and C#.
> `----
>
> http://blog.agilehead.com/content/from-c-on-mono-to-clojure-on-the-jvm/
>

> C#, see submarine
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A similar kind of encumbrance would be if MIT (or Xorg) could
> | retroactively re-license the X11 libraries to something proprietary
> | (note: they cannot), thereby removing the platform upon which all Free
> | Software X11 applications are built; it would be a risk, and given the
> | importance of Free Software, a risk where the expected value of a
> | manifestation is huge.
> |
> | This isn?t to say there?s not other submarines in the water. We don?t
> | know. Maybe we should. The known submarine should be treated with
> | caution. And the side of caution is to treat C# as a non-Free platform
> | to be avoided.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.fsfe.org/adridg/?p=157
>

> Are Microsoft's Promises For Ever?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Now, is it just me, or does Microsoft conspicuously fail to answer its
> | own question? The question was: does it apply to all versions
> | *including* future revision? And Microsoft's answer is about *existing*
> | versions: so doesn't that mean it could simply not apply the promise to
> | a future version? Isn't this the same problem as with the Open

are-microsofts-promises-for-ever.html