[News] Lockheed Martin Releases Free Software

Lockheed Martin To Release Social Media Tool As Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] announced today that it will release a
| proprietary social media tool under an open source software license. The
| announcement, made at the Enterprise 2.0 conference in Boston, is the first
| of its kind for Lockheed Martin.

DOD launches site to develop open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Defense Department officials have launched a new Web site where developers
| can work on open-source software projects specifically for DOD, David
| Mihelcic, the chief technology officer for the Defense Information Systems
| Agency (DISA), said today.
| The new site, named Forge.mil, is based on the public site SourceForge.net
| which hosts thousands of open-source projects, Mihelcic said at an AFCEA
| Washington chapter lunch in Arlington, Va.

Sourceforge's Mirrored Content Gets a Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| With over 180,000 open source projects in its repository, SourceForge.net has
| a lot of files it needs to track and serve.
| It can become a challenge to manage all those downloads. For the most part,
| Sourceforge relies on a system of globally distributed mirror sites that help
| to deliver open source application files and programs to users.

Open source makes serious headway in the U.S. Department of Defense

,----[ Quote ]
| As I listened to David Mihelcic, CTO with the U.S. Defense Information
| Systems Agency talk about the benefits of open source on Federal News Radio's
| presentation of "Open Source Solutions - 2 Years In Review," I couldn't help
| but be impressed with just how far open source has come in the past decade.

Ball Aerospace Launches Opticks Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]