[News] New Company Born out of Red Hat; Free Software Google Challenger Noted

Former Red Hat execs aim to open-source health care

,----[ Quote ]
| That someone appears to be Joanne Rohde, former executive vice president of
| worldwide operations at Red Hat, who has launched the Axial Project, a
| stealth-mode start-up that aims to "combin[e] the principles of Open
| Standards and Open Source...to connect all the parties in the Health
| ecosystem safely and securely."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10280095-16.html

Open-source Lucene threatens Microsoft, Google enterprise search

,----[ Quote ]
| You spend $1.2 billion to acquire enterprise search leader FAST in January
| 2008 and then another $100 million on semantic search vendor Powerset in July
| 2008, only to have the excellent Apache's Lucene, an open-source search
| project, and Solr, an enterprise search server based on Lucene, offer better
| performance at a 100 percent discount.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10288143-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Four Open Source Mind Mapping Apps to Keep You Focused

,----[ Quote ]
| Mind mapping tools are among the unsung heroes of project management. They're
| often overlooked or underused because some people mistakenly believe the
| learning curve is too steep or the features are unnecessary. Most mind
| mapping software is easy to use, however, and the applications are a great
| way to keep track of projects, research, book notes, and brainstorming
| sessions.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/four-open-source-mind-mapping-apps-to-keep-you-focused

Recent:

Apache Lucene Helps Online European Library Open Its Virtual Doors

,----[ Quote ]
| When a group of European museums joined together to put images of all of
| their paintings, drawings, sculptures, photos and other artifacts together in
| a centralized, online collection for the world to view, they turned to open
| source enterprise search software to make it happen.
`----

http://linux.com/news/enterprise/storage/27414-apache-lucene-story

Kors Engineering Launches NiagaraAX Open Source Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Kors Engineering, a premier service provider for manufacturing and industrial
| organizations, today announced it is launching a NiagaraAX open source
| project to develop and share software modules based on the Tridium NiagaraAX
| Baja API.
`----

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2009/4/prweb2309564.htm

Lucene Support: Commercialization Meets Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A: Yes, Lucid Imagination officially launched in January of this year. We are
| the first commercial company exclusively dedicated to the Apache Lucene and
| Apache Solr open source search technologies. We provide commercial-grade
| support, training, high-level consulting, and value-added software extensions
| for Lucene and Solr software.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/216500113

Open-Source Lucene Fits Site Search Alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| The free open-source toolkit Apache Lucene has been making its way into more
| Web content management systems, according to recent research from CMS Watch.
| Published findings in "The Web CMS Report 2009" suggest that 40% of
| manufacturers supporting CMS now bundle the app into their platform.
`----

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=102979

tyBit Search Engine To Release Source Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Today tyBit announced that it plans to release source code
| of its client-side search engine to accelerate user
| adoption and harness the skills of Open Source Developers.
`----

http://uk.webhostdir.com/news/showNews.aspx?ID=30225

Open-source Wikia Search adds tool to customize results

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikia Search, an open-source search tool launched early this year by
| Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, today opened its platform with a new
| application programming interface (API) that allows individuals or business
| to create interactive search results.
|
| The Wikia Intelligent Search Extension (WISE) platform, announced Wednesday,
| provides APIs that let third parties provide enhanced search results called
| WISEApps for specific keywords.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1055914427&rid=-50

Wikia Rolls Out New Features for Open Source Search Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikia Search project puts results more firmly in the hands of real people,
| unveils a slew of new features that let users edit, comment on and influence
| search results.
`----

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2008/6/prweb993724.htm

Wikia: Open Search, Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| You may not have heard of Wikia Search before. A relatively new project from
| the Wikipedia folks, they've entered the search-engine fray with an attitude
| that is just about as open as it is possible to be. Not only is their
| underlying software open source (under BSD licenses), but the very search
| results themselves are as open to editing as Wikipedia pages.
`----

http://ostatic.com/163879-blog/wikia-open-search-open-source#rss

Wikia Search Invites Users to Stir the Pot

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikia has a different idea of how a search engine should operate: Humans
| should be involved. Toward that end, it has retooled its fledgling open
| source Wikia Search tool to allow users to collaborate on refining results.

Wikipedia, Wikia and the Future of Free Culture

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wikipedia’s license allows you the:
| Freedom to copy
| Freedom to modify
| Freedom to redistribute
| Freedom to redistribute modified versions
|
| He goes on to further refine his term the sum of all human knowledge. He
| describes Wikipedia as an encyclopedia, not a data dump. This is a Global
| Movement to gather content in every single language.
`----

http://johntynan.com/archives/114

Niche social networks welcome: Wikia open sources social tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Community wiki building site Wikia, has announced they are allowing their
| social networking platform to become open source. This will allow anyone to
| easily create a social community complete with profiles, avatars, friending,
| etc… within their MediaWiki-based wiki sites.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/02/28/niche-social-networks-welcome-wikia-open-sources-social-tools

Related:

Wikia's Search Philosophy: It Takes a Village to Challenge a Giant

,----[ Quote ]
| "What you see here is our first alpha release," says a greeting on the Wikia
| Search site. "We are aware that the quality of the search results is low. Of
| course, before we start, we have no user feedback data. So the results are
| pretty bad. But we expect them to improve rapidly in coming weeks, so please
| bookmark the site and return often."

Wikia search engine to go live on Monday

,----[ Quote ]
| Search Wikia, the widely awaited search engine from Wikipedia founder Jimmy
| Wales, is slated to make its official debut on Monday, with the bet that an
| open-source, community-driven effort can disrupt and reshape this
| Google-dominated market.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/1634/search-wikia-goes-live-080107/

Wikia Search Project to Launch Jan. 7, Wales says

,----[ Quote ]
| Wales has started to invite a handful of people to test an early version of
| the search platform, which will be publicly launched on Jan. 7, he wrote in
| anemailto the Wikia mailing list Monday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/24/AR2007122401567.html

Wikipedia like search engine to use Apache Lucene - Nutch

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.indicthreads.com/news/1062/wikipedia_search_engine_apache_lucene_nutch.html