[News] More Taxation Wrongly Assumed to Improve Creativity

Not That It Matters... But Appeals Court Rejects Webcasters' Challenge Over
Copyright Royalties

,----[ Quote ]
| If the current negotiated rates threaten to put a lot of webcasters out of
| business, and the CRB's original rates were even higher, doesn't that suggest
| a pretty serious problem both with the CRB and with the appeals process?
| Separately, it looks like the court had no problem at all ignoring the
| constitutional questions about the Copyright Royalty Board for a second time.
| It's as if no one wants to actually follow what the Constitution says...
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/modified-3-strikes-back-on-agenda-for-new-zealand-pirates-090714/

ASCAP's Latest Claim: Embedding YouTube Videos Requires Public Performance
License

,----[ Quote ]
| A few years back, we idly wondered if it could possibly be copyright
| infringement to embed a YouTube video on your own site. It would be a very
| difficult argument, since an embed code is really no different than a link.
| The content itself is hosted by YouTube and was uploaded by some other party.
| Yet, we figured eventually someone would make a claim along those lines...
| and wouldn't you know it would be ASCAP?

LGJ: If 24 songs = $1.9 million, then 1 game = ?

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, a leak of a game that proves to be lower quality than
| anticipated may cause losses of an untold number of sales. A fan sequel
| that's of poor quality may drive people away from the original work, or a
| machinima that is highly offensive may cause the offended parties to not buy
| the game the machinima is based on. As you might imagine though, these
| numbers are nearly impossible to figure out.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/24/lgj-if-24-songs-1-9-million-then-1-game/

Recent:

Introducing RDF for GNU Licenses

,----[ Quote ]
| For the past few months, the Compliance Lab has been working with Creative
| Commons on a new project, and it's just been released. I'm happy to announce
| that Resource Description Framework (RDF) metadata now accompanies all of the
| GNU licenses.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/2009-06-rdf

No, Amazon did not release all of the Swindle's source code

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/kindle-swindle-source-code