[News] Essay Shows That 'Original' Works Are Unoriginal (Against Intellectual Monopoly)

  • Subject: [News] Essay Shows That 'Original' Works Are Unoriginal (Against Intellectual Monopoly)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 01:58:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Does The Mainstream Press 'Make' or 'Own' The News?

,----[ Quote ]
| In his recent post, Mike discussed how there is a two-way street between
| blogs and newspapers, in which both become aware of stories from each other,
| and both borrow ideas. Techdirt believes this is part of the free market for
| ideas, and that nobody can own news, but we contrast this belief with the
| mainstream media moguls, who rant about how bloggers "poach" the news from
| the newspapers, offering naught in return. There is a trend of major
| publishers talking about how they "own" the news they "made", even when they
| themselves are just reporting on stories that occurred to other people. If
| anyone made the news, isn't it the people involved? But news is really just
| facts, and nobody can "own" reality.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090708/1723035490.shtml

Recent:

The Myth Of Original Creators

,----[ Quote ]
| It's nice to see more and more people recognizing and speaking out about
| these things. The idea that there is a single "author" or "creator" who
| deserves to get money any time anyone else builds upon his or her works is
| something that should be seen as increasingly ridiculous as people recognize
| that all works are created based on the works of others, and it's inherently
| silly to try to charge everyone to pay back each and every one of their
| influences in creating a new work.

Why Are Newspapers Exploiting The People They Cover?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090417/1544524544.shtml