[News] Patents Part of a "Neo-colonialist Plot" -- Glyn Moody

What Are Intellectual Monopolies For?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you still doubted that intellectual monopolies are in part a
| neo-colonialist plot to ensure the continuing dominance of Western nations...
|
| [...]
|
| We can't possibly have dveloping countries protecting their traditional
| medicine and national lore - "genetic resources, traditional knowledge and
| folklore" - from being taken and patented by the Western world. After all,
| companies in the latter have an inalienable right to turn a profit by
| licensing that same traditional knowledge it back to the countries it was
| stolen from (this has already happened). That's what intellectual monopolies
| are for.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/whats.html

On "Intellectual Property" and Indigenous Peoples

,----[ Quote ]
| Consequently the monopolising system is breaking the bond of solidarity,
| sharing and communication connecting all of humankind. To the Indigenous
| Peoples it means their language, rituals and heritage will be in danger of
| becoming extinct along with the last generation that grew up with them.
|
| So in a perfectly working system and world, the price to pay for such
| expansion of monopolies may be nothing less than the cultural identity of the
| Indigenous Peoples.
`----

http://fsfe.org/projects/wipo/iprip.en.html

WIPO stalemate: No agreement reached on genetic resources, traditional
knowledge and folklore

,----[ Quote ]
| At the heart of the discussion lay a proposal by the African Group which
| called for the IGC to submit a text to the 2011 General Assembly
| containing “a/(n) international legally binding instrument/instruments” to
| protect traditional cultural expressions (folklore), traditional knowledge
| and genetic resources. Inextricably linked to the legally binding instruments
| were the African Group’s demands for “text-based negotiations” with
| clear “timeframes” for the proposed program of work. This proposal garnered
| broad support among a group of developing countries including Malaysia,
| Thailand, Fiji, Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Cuba, Yemen
| India, Peru, Guatemala, China, Nepal and Azerbaijan. Indonesia, Iran and
| Pakistan co-sponsored the African Group proposal.
`----

http://www.keionline.org/blogs/2009/07/08/igc-stalemate/

Pearly Gates merely promotes dependence on US patents, for life. He makes
colonisation with his Foundry, which can be the opposite of "charitable".

Recent:

Intellectual Monopolies Kill: Two Examples

,----[ Quote ]
| If people with breast cancer genes are demonstrably suffering in this way,
| statistics tells us that some of them will be dying as a direct result of
| Myriad's aggressive defence of its unwarranted intellectual monopolies.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/intellectual-monopolies-kill-two.html

Has the US patent system gone too far?

,----[ Quote ]