[News] Ubertroll Ray Niro Loses Mojo

Infamous Niro JPEG Patent Smacked Down Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Lawyer Raymond Niro, for whom the term "patent troll" was apparently first
| coined, has been known to use the fact that he represents a company called
| Global Patent Holdings (GPH) to his advantage. GPH owns patent 5,253,341, but
| looking at it there won't do much good. You see, Niro and others claimed that
| the patent covered pretty much anyone running a web server, leading to quite
| a few legal battles, including one against a guy, Greg Aharonian, who called
| it a "bad patent." For claiming that, he got sued for patent infringement. In
| fighting the patent, it was re-examined, and all 16 of its claims were
| rejected... but a 17th claim was added and allowed to stand.

Troll Tracker blogger Rick Frenkel moves to Wilson Sonsini

,----[ Quote ]
| Frenkel-2 Former Patent Troll Tracker blogger Rick Frenkel has left Cisco
| Systems and moved to Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, a top Silicon Valley
| law firm, where he is of counsel. Today is his first day at the firm.
|
| "We were impressed with his breadth and depth of experience," said Michael
| Barclay, an IP litigation partner at Wilson Sonsini and a PTT reader,
| natch. "Rick has developed a lot of knowledge and insights about patent
| trolls that will be helpful to our clients who have to deal with them."
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/patent_troll_tracker/

Blogger, Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Live by anonymity, die by anonymity.
|
| Yes, I have been unmasked. It happened quite the way this blog happened - I
| got an anonymous email, from the guy who probably collected the bounty,
| telling me I better tell everyone who I am (and he clearly knew), or else he
| would take care of it for me. The clear threat in the email is that he would
| do it in a way I wouldn't be happy about. I don't know what that means, but
| as I have been growing weary of anonymity anyway, here I am.
|
| [...]
|
| Someone may have made $15,000 or so from a bounty posted by Ray Niro on this
| one - not sure I'll ever find out who or how. I don't actually even care.
`----

http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/2008/02/blogger-revealed.html

Boca Resort Opens New Front in Assault on Global Patent Holdings'
JPEG-on-a-Website Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| Ray Niro emailed me yesterday, complaining about the personal attacks being
| made on him in Slashdot.
|
| [...]
|
| He also tells me he now definitely knows who I am. I'm waiting for
| confirmation, since he didn't tell me my name. Then we'll see. According to
| him, one of my "friends" turned me in for the cash. Thanks, whoever you are,
| if true.
|
| Meanwhile, I might as well get rid of a couple of posts I have saved, and was
| planning to post next week, when I'm not going to be able to post for various
| reasons. You know, go out with a bang, so to speak!
`----

http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/2008/01/boca-resort-opens-new-front-in-assault.html

JPEG Patent's Single Claim Rejected (And Smacked Down For Good Measure)

,----[ Quote ]
| The patent had been used, repeatedly, by lawyer Ray Niro, against a wide
| range of opponents, including a patent system critic. The end result was a
| drawn out review process where all of the original claims were rejected, but
| a single new claim was added to the patent, which Niro insisted covered JPEGs
| on a website.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080731/0337491852.shtml

Admitted Patent Troll Finds The Phrase 'Shell Entity' Offensive

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080731/0313571851.shtml